AirPods versus the free EarPods
Mary Otten
2017-05-29 15:25:36 UTC
Sent hi all,
I am considering the possible purchase of AirPods. I don't like earr buds in general and I have never been impressed with the EarPods the Apple include with its phone. For those of you who have both, are the AirPods really better? Or is it just nice electronics with the same old less than wonderful sound? I have great headphones. But they cover the ears, and I don't think I want to wear them for hours on end.
Mary
from my iPhone

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Michael Feir
2017-05-29 15:41:00 UTC
Hi Mary. I have both the free earpods and the airpods. The sound is
somewhat better on the Airpods. I think that due to the W1 chip and their
independent battery power. I notice more bass with them. The microphones
work very well for calls and conversations but I wouldn't use them for
serious recording.

What you're really buying with Airpods is convenience and portability. The
case can cary enough extra charge to keep the airpods going for a day. Each
airpod lasts around 5 hours on a ful charge but they charge very quickly.
You can stick one in the case to charge it up and keep using the other one.
After one's fully charged, switch airpods and charge the other. I can get
them to both end up at around 96% doing it that way. Alternatively, just
stick them both in the case and take a ten to fifteen minute break and
they'll both get a good enough charge to keep them going for at least a
couple hours.

It takes some getting used to but overall, I very much like my Airpods.
I'll be keenly interested to hear what Apple does for the next generation
of this product. Presuming they keep working, I think I'll be happy with
them for years. They don't take much power to charge up. Also, they don't
fall out of your ears like I worried they might. That depends on one's ear
shape. I'd never wear them while navigating outdoors. Aftershokz bone
conduction headsets are much safer for that. Also, if one did fall while
you were outdoors, it might be difficult to find without sight.
Post by Mary Otten
Sent hi all,
I am considering the possible purchase of AirPods. I don't like earr buds
in general and I have never been impressed with the EarPods the Apple
include with its phone. For those of you who have both, are the AirPods
really better? Or is it just nice electronics with the same old less than
wonderful sound? I have great headphones. But they cover the ears, and I
don't think I want to wear them for hours on end.
Mary
from my iPhone
---
Michael Feir
Twitter: mfeir
Skype: michael-feir
Check out my blog at:
http://www.michaelfeir.blogspot.ca

Currently writing Personal Power: The iOS Edition
Regular presenter on Kelly And Company
Learn about iOS, audio dramas, podcasts and accessible games
Thursdays at 4:15 PM Eastern
Www.ami.ca/kellyco

Creator of Journeys of the Mind lectures
2015
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2015/01/journeys-of-mind-play-is-where.html?m=0

Volunteer at New Horizons Peel Multicultural Centre
www.peelmc.ca
2014

Disability advocate
Meadowvale Community Christian Reformed Church
www.meadowvalecrc.ca
2013--2014

Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011-2013
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2009/01/personal-power.html

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2009/01/life-of-word-and-sound.html

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine 1996-2004

Mary Otten
2017-05-29 15:54:40 UTC
Thanks to those who have replied to my inquiry thus far. I'm not too worried about them falling out, since I would never use them outdoors. Indeed, I'm only contemplating them because I'm going to be stuck in one place for several hours at a time, and I think that's too much for my lovely over the ear headphones. Plus, those tend to isolate you from the outside, which isn't a good deal, when you're trying to communicate with medical personnel from time to time.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone
Post by Mary Otten
[...]
‹>
Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011-2013

Harry Bell

Jennie Facer

Sieghard Weitzel
2017-05-29 16:30:01 UTC
I have tried Airpods at an Apple Store and spend a good 15 minutes listening to various types of music as well as a bit of an audio book. I agree that they sound slightly better than Earpods, but I wouldn’t say that is a “Wow experience” type difference and the fit is exactly the same, think of the earpods with the cable cut off at the end of the little plastic part that sticks down.
It’s interesting how perception differs, I think the wired Apple Earpods are by far the best sounding earbuds that are not noise-isolating and especially in that price range. I also have a pair of $200 V-Mota over the ear headphones with beautiful soft leather earcups and they sound great, but they definitely don’t sound 6 times as good. I have a feeling if you don’t like Earpods that Airpods may also not be to your liking and you might want to look at something like the new Beats X which are actually a bit less expensive and they have a cord/cable connecting the two earbuds and there is a fully functional remote built into this cable whereas with Airpods all you can do is to answer/hang up a call, invoke SIRI and pause playback by taking them out of your ear, there is no way to control volume unless you bring up SIRI to raise or lower the volume. Otherwise you have to use the iPhone itself for volume, skip/rewind, play/pause etc.
I am definitely waiting to see what the next generation of Airpods bring, I’m pretty sure they’ll also come out with the second generation this fall and hopefully Apple for once listened to what the customers want which definitely is volume control and at least the basic functions of rewind and skip and I’d love to see a small hole molded in the plastic which would allow you to connect a cord so it’s not quite as easy to loose one. And of course Apple could make said cord in 10 different colours for 5 Cents, sell it as the “Aircord” for $9.99 and add a bit more cash to the quarter trillion Dollars they already have on hand.

Regards,
Sieghard

Mary Otten

Alan Lemly
2017-05-29 19:02:38 UTC
I'm with Sieghard on this topic and expect that where earphones are concerned, there are as many differing opinions as those expressing them. I think the wired earpods sound great and much prefer them over a set of Bose headphones that I have for both sound and comfort.

Good luck at coming up with something that works for you.

Alan Lemly

Sent from my iPhone

Robin Frost
2017-05-29 20:13:58 UTC
Hi Sieghard,
thanks for mentioning the Beats x I’ll have to check them out. I think I’m the only person who can’t wear the earpods that ship with iPhones and thus I suppose by extension the air pods as they’re just not comfortable in my wee ears no matter what I do.
Robin

Peter Logan
2017-05-29 22:18:03 UTC
Just a point of clarification...You can turn volume up and down ..pause ... skip ... etc.by tapping on the air pod and saying such .. ie... voule up ...volume down ...pause...skiptback... next track.. etc.

I have the air pods and I think the sound is better than the wired ear pods, although not 5X better .. I didn't like the Beats X as I found the sound not as good .. so I sent them back.. but give them a try .. you might like them.Sound is such an objective thing ...

Sent from my iPhone

Sieghard Weitzel
2017-05-29 23:30:45 UTC
Hi Peter,

Yes, I did mention you can ask SIRI to adjust volume, but to me that is not enough. I tried this in the store when I tried the Airpods and what I can do with my little in-line remote on the Earpods in 1.5 or 2 seconds takes me 10 seconds on the Airpods using SIRI especially if you don’t get it right the first or second time, you have to each time get SIRI to listen and tell it to increase or lower the volume or try with a percentage. Also, there are just situations when, for example, I might be sitting somewhere quiet waiting like maybe at a doctor’s office when I might listen to music or a book and I’d feel pretty stupid if I had this little conversation with SIRI like “Increase volume”, “Increase volume”, “Increase volume” or “Set volume to 60%” then if it’s too much or not enough “Increase volume” or “Set volume to 70%” etc.
For what Apple charges for these things they simply should have these controls, I am definitely not the only one who thinks so and I can almost guaranty that they will have these control in generation 2 or 3, it’s just a matter of time.

Just out of curiocity, what is with the double period at the end of eeach sentence, do you put it there on purpose or is it something that happens when dictating or typing on a bluetooth keyboard?

Regards,
Sieghard