voice assistance apps
Chris Judd
2016-06-01 03:27:40 UTC
Hey all,

I know the IPhone has serie, but I was wondering of any other apps that people use for voice assistance?
I know that you can use google, and it will read things to you, but I’m wondering if that is just for the droyed.
The other day, we were wanting to cook lopster, and someone who was over with us asked google how to cook the lopster, and the phone read it to her.
I think she has a droyed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at ***@caraquinn.com

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Christopher Chaltain
2016-06-01 04:01:35 UTC
I don't really use any of them much, but you also have Google and
Cortana from Microsoft available on IOS.
Post by Chris Judd
Hey all,
I know the IPhone has serie, but I was wondering of any other apps that
people use for voice assistance?
I know that you can use google, and it will read things to you, but I’m
wondering if that is just for the droyed.
The other day, we were wanting to cook lopster, and someone who was over
with us asked google how to cook the lopster, and the phone read it to her.
I think she has a droyed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris
Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn
---
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail

Shawn Krasniuk
2016-06-01 04:30:37 UTC
Google Now is also for iOS, although I don't really like the app. I have 3 virtual assistants to choose from on my phone. Siri of course, Cortana, and Alexa with the help of the Roger app. Your best bet is to play with all these apps and decide which one you like.

Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone <https://groups.google.com/group/viphone>.

Shai
2016-06-01 04:40:17 UTC
Hi,
Just to add to Shawn's post, there is also the Hound app for Voice
assistance as well. I use this app sometimes to get reviews or find
information which Siri does not have.
Post by Chris Judd
Hey all,
I know the IPhone has serie, but I was wondering of any other apps that
people use for voice assistance?
I know that you can use google, and it will read things to you, but I’m
wondering if that is just for the droyed.
The other day, we were wanting to cook lopster, and someone who was over
with us asked google how to cook the lopster, and the phone read it to
her.
I think she has a droyed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris
Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn -
---
"VIPhone" group.
<https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

TaraPrakash

Shawn Krasniuk
2016-06-01 18:10:14 UTC
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an Amazon account though to use her in both instances.

Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Post by TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone

TaraPrakash
2016-06-02 04:28:13 UTC
I have seen in demonstrations of Amazon echo , Alexa performs so much better than Siri. Is it the same in the app for iPhone for Alexa

Sent from my iPhone
Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an Amazon account though to use her in both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Post by TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone

Shawn Krasniuk
2016-06-02 04:32:14 UTC
It similar to the Amazon Echo. Although due to limitations, you can't control her entirely by voice. In the Roger app, you have to press the microphone to talk to her. I'm not from the US so I don't know how she behaves in the Lexi app. I can only access her with Roger.

Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an Amazon account though to use her in both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Post by TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone

TaraPrakash
2016-06-02 05:47:10 UTC
So what kind of things what do you prefer it for over Siri?
You cannot use it for dictation or for controlling your phone right?

Sent from my iPhone
Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an Amazon account though to use her in both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Post by TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone

Shawn Krasniuk
2016-06-02 06:12:06 UTC
No but she can answer questions and play games with you if you enable that skill. For that reason, I prefer Cortana or Siri for those kinds of things and Alexa for fun.

Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an Amazon account though to use her in both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Post by TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone

Kelly Pierce
2016-06-02 11:15:50 UTC
The latest Apple rumor is that Apple will unveil significant
improvements to Siri at WWDC. I don't want to say more because
discussion of Apple rumors here angers Apple. we will all know more
officially after the WWDC keynote coming up soon.

Kelly
Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called
Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can
download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an
Amazon account though to use her in both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Post by TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone
Post by Chris Judd
Hey all,
I know the IPhone has serie, but I was wondering of any other apps
that people use for voice assistance?
I know that you can use google, and it will read things to you, but
I’m wondering if that is just for the droyed.
The other day, we were wanting to cook lopster, and someone who was
over with us asked google how to cook the lopster, and the phone
read it to her.
I think she has a droyed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris
If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this
list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please
contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the
list itself.
Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara
---
Groups "VIPhone" group.

Georgina Joyce
2016-06-02 19:19:11 UTC
Hello,

I use the Echo to read my kindle books. Yes to read them on the phone offers the flexibility over speed of delivery and voice. It can be a lot of faffing about. The Echo just responds and reads the book requested. Overall, it’s a lot more hands free. Although, these advantages are not apparent when using the Roger app.

Regards,

Gena
Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an Amazon account though to use her in both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Post by TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone

Georgina Joyce
2016-06-02 19:11:02 UTC
Hello,

What do you mean by dictation? You can dictate items to be added to the to-do-list and shopping list. You can add events to the google calendar. The number of skills are increasing all the time and there’s no telling what other things can be done.

Gena
Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an Amazon account though to use her in both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Post by TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone

Chip Orange
2016-06-02 16:28:01 UTC
How or why is Roger needed to use Alexa?

Thanks.

Chip

Facetime: ***@icloud.com

Georgina Joyce
2016-06-02 19:26:39 UTC
Hello,

The Amazon products such as the Echo are not available in other places like here in the UK. So to gain access to the platform you need to use Roger. Or alternatively, Amazon have made software details open source that uses a Raspberry pie to build your own Alexa device. But I guess this option isn’t an option for most VI people.

Regards,

Gena

'RobH.' via VIPhone
2016-06-01 09:14:51 UTC
I find Siri has got very lapse about reading the info, even if she/it actually finds any.

BobH.

Fred Olver
2016-06-02 12:09:03 UTC
Chris, you can use Siri to do the same thing. Just ask how to cook lobster and you will be presented with a number of different recipes.

Fred

Sieghard Weitzel
2016-06-02 02:03:24 UTC
Hi Fred,

I just asked SIRI “How to cook Lobster” and after a moment I got this: Hmm, let me think
 my web search turned something up for how to cook lobster”.
I wouldn’t call this exactly helpful although to be fair I also don’t know how helpful it is to hear one recipe read out by Google if it’s not the recipe I want or like.

Kelly Pierce
2016-06-02 02:32:03 UTC
sieghard,

When Siri searches the Web in iOS 9, it uses Bing. If you like bing
results, just ask Siri your search query or tel Siri to quote search
Google for . whatever unquote

Kelly
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 5:09 AM
Chris, you can use Siri to do the same thing. Just ask how to cook lobster
and you will be presented with a number of different recipes.
Fred
I know the IPhone has serie, but I was wondering of any other apps that
people use for voice assistance?
I know that you can use google, and it will read things to you, but I’m
wondering if that is just for the droyed.
The other day, we were wanting to cook lopster, and someone who was over
with us asked google how to cook the lopster, and the phone read it to her.
I think she has a droyed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris
Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn -
---
email to
To post to this group, send email to

Rajmund
2016-06-02 11:56:39 UTC
Hello,
When is the event taking place?

Sent from a Braille Sense

Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called
Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can
download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an
Amazon account though to use her in both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Post by TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone
--
The following information is important for all members of the V
iPhone list.

Kelly Pierce
2016-06-02 14:20:15 UTC
It will start on June 13 with a keynote. Within 24 hours, I will post
an audio version of the keynote video so it can be listened to on a
Victor Stream, Bookport, or in the music app on an iPhone. AppleVis
will list a summary in text and the major Apple news sites will be
reporting on the presentation.

Kelly
Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called
Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can
download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an
Amazon account though to use her in both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs
Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
Post by TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone

Sieghard Weitzel
2016-06-02 15:35:47 UTC
And don't forget that you can listen live by going to www.apple.com/live

Here is what it says on the Apple website:

Streaming video requires the following:
An iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with Safari on iOS 7.0 or later
A Mac with Safari 6.0.5 or later on OS X v10.8.5 or later
A PC with Windows 7, 8 or 10. Windows 10 also requires Microsoft Edge.
Streaming via Apple TV requires an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) with software 6.2 or later or an Apple TV (4th generation).

I always found that streaming it on the Apple TV is really easy but if I am not at home I prefer to do so on my iPhone.

Regards,
Sieghard

Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an
app called Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in
the US, you can download an app called Roger and find her
there. You need to have an Amazon account though to use her in
both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
shawnk_aka_bbs Skype username: bbstheblindrapper
On Jun 1, 2016, at 11:04 AM, TaraPrakash
How do you get alexa
Sent from my iPhone
On Jun 1, 2016, at 12:30 AM, Shawn Krasniuk
Post by Shawn Krasniuk
[...]
Google Groups "VIPhone" group.
from it, send an email to
[...]
-
---
Groups "VIPhone" group.

rajmund
2016-06-02 17:07:17 UTC
Hello,
The last time, I used a link through safari. thanks for posting, in advanced.

Sent from my iPhone 5S
Post by Shawn Krasniuk
You can get it two ways. If you're in the US, you can buy an app called
Lexi for $5 and get her that way. If you're not in the US, you can
download an app called Roger and find her there. You need to have an
Amazon account though to use her in both instances.
Shawn
Sent From My White MacBook
Facebook Username: Shawn Krasniuk
Twitter Handle: shawnk_aka_bbs