A Question About How To Delete Audio Books from the Audible tvOS App on Apple TV 4th Generation
M. Taylor
2016-04-15 19:25:35 UTC
Hello Everyone,

I am cross-posting this question.

Does anyone know how to delete an audio book from the Audible app on the
latest version of tvOS?

My situation is as follows:

Because I have a legacy Audible account, one that has not yet been linked to
Amazon, I can only login to my account using a username and password instead
of an email address and password. At present, the tvOS version of the app
does not support this.

Yesterday, after opening the Audible app in tvOS, I went to the accounts
tab. To my surprise, even when not logged in, one can browse and download
free audio books. I took advantage of this feature and downloaded one
title. Everything works perfectly accept that I cannot discover how to
remove the book.

Any and all replies welcomed.

Mark

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at ***@caraquinn.com

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Sieghard Weitzel
2016-04-16 03:21:42 UTC
Hi mark,

Have you tried the same way you get rid of apps, press and hold the touchpad, then press the Play/Pause button? This is only a guess which leads me to my question. How do get Audible on the Apple TV? I can only assume for some reason it is not available in Canada because when I look in my purchased apps where I see all apps I purchased on my iPhone and which are also available on TVOS it is not there. When I search for "Audible" all I get is the app for AudioBooks.com. Since we use the US version of Audible in Canada I am really surprised it's not available.

Regards,
Sieghard

M. Taylor
2016-04-16 04:56:31 UTC
Hello My Friend,

Yes I did, indeed, attempt to use the same method one would use to delete an app. It does not work.

I saw the Audible app in my purchase history of the tvOS App Store on my Apple TV. I never would have thought of downloading it were it not in my purchased list.

Ricardo Walker

Sieghard Weitzel
2016-04-16 15:49:01 UTC
Hi,

That is indeed interesting and I have a feeling Mark has mistaken the "Audio books" app on the Apple TV fourth gen with "Audible". Audio Books is from Simply Audio Books at www.AudioBooks.com and after just doing a Google search I conclude there is not yet an Audible app for the Apple TV, Google comes up with nothing relevant when I search for "Audible app for TVOS".
What I did find with that search were a lot of upset comments on an Amazon forum from people who want Amazon to come out with apps for Amazon Video and Amazon Music for the Apple TV.

Regards,
Sieghard

M. Taylor
2016-04-16 18:43:17 UTC
Hello Sieghard,

Well, I definitely have proverbial egg on my face.

You are correct, I just went and looked more closely at the app and it is, indeed, AudioBooks--not Audible.

Wow!

The icon looks very much like the Audible app, even with the same color scheme.

Wow!.

Well, I guess that’s' that (smile); in terms of Audible.

I apologize for any inconvenience my careless mistake caused anyone.

The problem still persists, however, but at least I will now be on a better path to finding the solution.

I must have downloaded the Audiobooks apps many, many years ago and simply forgot about having done so.

Again, please accept my apology.

Mark

Sieghard Weitzel
2016-04-16 15:54:39 UTC
This would, by the way, also explain why Mark can't delete the books, AudioBooks.com is primarily a streaming service so the books most likely are never downloaded to the Apple TV.
Audible offers the streaming of audio books via their website and I wouldn't be surprised that there is no app yet because maybe an Apple TV app would strictly be a streaming app and it's quite possible that they are still working on getting it done (at least I hope so).
I wish you could also just stream books with the iOS app because while there are of course situations where I would still want to download books like for a long flight or drive where there may be no cell coverage, for most of my usageI could stream the book.

Mary Otten
2016-04-16 16:16:47 UTC
Hi Sieghardt,
You don't by any chance have an Amazon Alexa, do you? That could be an echo or one of the newer devices. You can stream audible books in there and pick up on your eye device or any other device that supports audible. Of course the book would have to be downloaded onto the device in order to pick up where you left off on your Amazon Alexa enabled device.

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Sieghard Weitzel
2016-04-16 16:26:50 UTC
Hi Mary,

I don't have an Echo yet. I must say after listening to the Podcast from the CSun conference with the Amazon guy I am somewhat intriqued, but as always I wish they packed in some more features. For example, I would probably like the original, large Echo, but I don't like the fact it doesn't have a headphone/line out jack. Does it allow you to use a Bluetooth headset with it, that would be an acceptable compromise as being able to use it with a headset would be more important to me than connecting it to an amplifier or receiver, I already have my Sonos system for music and can easily Airplay to it from my iPhone if I want to listen to an audio book in a particular room or across the entire house.
Anyhow, while the Echo seems like an interesting and fun device, I still would like to see an Audible app for the Apple TV. Unfortunately at this point many Amazon services like Amazon instant video which is part of Amazon Prime in the States are not available in Canada and that somewhat takes away from the experience.
I like the idea of the Echo being always available even if I'm across the room although it does also make me wonder about privacy and what theoretically it all could listen to when you think it isn't. It's not like I would think Amazon is on the moral high ground and absolutely beyond spying on its customers.

Regards,
Sieghard

Mary Otten

M. Taylor
2016-04-16 18:54:10 UTC
Hello Sieghard,

After my mistaking this app for Audible, I am taking nothing for granted (smile). When I first downloaded the free audiobook, I received a message stating that the title was downloading followed by a progress bar.

Upon subsequence launches of the app, when opening the book there is no such message and the title begins playing immediately. Does this not suggest that the book was actually downloaded to my device?

Just curious as to your thoughts.

Mark

M. Taylor
2016-04-16 18:15:06 UTC
Hello Ricardo,

That is interesting.

By the way, I have called the Audible tech support people, four times. Each time I kept having to explain to them that I was referring to an Apple TV, not an iPad, not a browser, not an iPhone but an Apple TV 4th Generation.

The fourth tech I spoke to admitted that she had not yet used the Apple TV so did not know how it works. She also suggested that the tvOS version would most likely not allow legacy account holders to log in. As I stated, that is no problem.

After placing me on hold for over 15 minutes, just as I was about to disconnect, she came back on the line and suggested that I try a single-finger swipe from right to left on the remote touch pad. As I was not in front of the device at the time, I told her I would try that. Later, when back at home, I first turned off VoiceOver, then attempted that gesture along with every other gesture I could think of; nothing worked.

I have done countless Google searches on this but cannot find any references to this problem.

This could be some kind of bug in the app--the fact that they allow one to browse and download free books without first having to log in.

Of course, I can always delete the app as doing so will also delete any of its contents, or so I hope (smile).

Mark

Merv Keck
2016-04-16 11:26:03 UTC
I saw audiobooks.com and I was wondering what the difference was between that and audible. I don't have audible myself. Now I know they are two different things. Thanks for enlightening me, smile!