iOS 8.1 and braille input
Richard Turner
2014-10-20 20:15:22 UTC
Has anyone with a braille display tried to use braille input in Pages or the Notes app?
The braille drags behind badly and pretty soon stops taking the braille.
Hitting spacebar plus dots 1 5 freezes the display instead of putting in a hard return.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Richard

The following information is important for all members of the viphone list. All new members to the this list are moderated by default. If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. The archives for this list can be searched at http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/.
---
Teresa Cochran
2014-10-20 20:33:34 UTC
The sluggish Braille input has been happening ever since 8.0. I have just switched automatic translation off and use dots 4-5 chord to translate each paragraph or before each hard return. I also use dots 8-chord for a carriage return, though this might be problematic if you use eight-dot input.

Teresa

"We can see with the eyes, but we see with the brain as well, and seeing with the brain is often called imagination."--Oliver Sacks
Richard Turner

Teresa Cochran

Richard Turner
2014-10-21 13:44:07 UTC
I’m not seeing a need for the translate command. I have the braile settings with both input and display set to contracted and the automatic translation set to off.

Using the Braille Edge with an iPhone 5, if I type a p and hit space, it becomes people and so on. Granted, it doesn’t translate if I pause in a word like it does if automatic translation is on, but I am not clear why you would need to hit the translation command at the end of a paragraph, etc. What am I missing here?

Are there specific apps where this is more easily demonstrated?

While I am a long time braille user, I have to admit, I have not used the braille display that much for input, mostly jut for reading.

Richard

Teresa Cochran

RobH.
2014-10-21 17:59:46 UTC
Meanwhile, not had any issue with the space thing since upgrading.
I forgot how to switch contractions on/off.

RobH.

<mailto:***@turner42.com> > wrote:

So, do you also change the input to uncontracted?

I assume you meant dot 7 cord for the hard return.

Richard

"The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of
flying.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in
learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

<mailto:***@turner42.com> > wrote:

Has anyone with a braille display tried to use braille input in Pages or the
Notes app?
The braille drags behind badly and pretty soon stops taking the braille.
Hitting spacebar plus dots 1 5 freezes the display instead of putting in a
hard return.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Richard

"The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of
flying.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in
learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

can be searched at http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/.
---
"VIPhone" group.
email to viphone+***@googlegroups.com
<mailto:viphone+***@googlegroups.com> .
<mailto:***@googlegroups.com> .
Teresa Cochran

Sharonda Greenlaw
2014-10-21 18:52:18 UTC
Teresa,
I use my Focus 40 Blue like you use your display. Has anyone been able
to enter their 4-digit code using the braille display? I haven't. If
you have, please give tips. Thanks.

Sharonda
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 2:57 PM
[...]
President (Phoenix Chapter)
National Federation of the Blind
-------------
Skype: sharonda2004
Twitter: shari_rocks
Facebook: facebook.com/TheSharondaWhiteGreenlaw
Teresa Cochran

David Chittenden
2014-10-21 20:21:35 UTC
If in contracted Braille, you need to use the number sign.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: ***@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone
Scott Davert
2014-10-21 20:25:42 UTC
Hi Richard.
This is still an issue, not related to translation. Basically, the
first and last cell come up when you start typing, I'm guessing Apple
was trying to overcome the issue about not being able to track what
has been typed? Anyway, it does seem a bit better in 8.1, though still
quite sluggish on my iPod 5g, and a little sluggish on the iPhone 5s.

Hope this helps,
Scott
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 2:57 PM
[...]
can be searched at
---
"VIPhone" group.
Sharonda Greenlaw
2014-10-21 20:57:51 UTC
I have my display input set to contracted. I just changed my screen
input to contracted as well, though that probably won't make a
difference since I think that's for the on-screen braille. I'll try it
again. I have been using the number sign. I've tried both upper and
lower numbers. I'll let you all know if this works for me. Keep those
tips coming though! Thanks!

Sharonda
Sharonda Greenlaw
2014-10-22 02:19:31 UTC
It worked well! Thanks!

Sharonda
Sent from my mobile device; please excuse any mistakes
RobH.
2014-10-21 19:08:22 UTC
2finger swipe right gave a new line, 3finger swipe right,... did the
trick with contractions on/off.

Still working good and able to send the texts without issue too. Somebody
is getting them and polite enough Not to say so.

Teresa Cochran