Braille input and using Braille displays in iOS 8
Wayne Merritt
2014-09-19 21:04:41 UTC
Greetings all. I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 7. I haven't upgraded yet
and am not sure tha i Iwill until I get a new iPhone 6 next week or
the week after. I have seen people talk about being able to type in
Braille in iOS 8. My question is: can this be done with a Braille
display? In other words, when on iOS 8 can I turn my rodar to braille
and then write in Braille using my Focus 14 Blue display? I sure hope
so since I sent a note to Apple Accessibility about this not long ago
and it would be great if they added that ability.

Thanks in advance,
Wayne
--
Follow me on Twitter at:
www.twitter.com/wcmerritt
Flor Lynch
2014-09-19 21:33:08 UTC
In iOS7 (and before), with your braille display Bluetooth paired and
Voiceover running, you can already write (in braille) with your braille
display's keys, without need of any rotor adjustment beyond the usual
Voiceover things. You can also write with the onscreen keyboard and your
output can be read from the braille display. I suppose the feedback
might be a bit quicker, with Contracted braille, but we already know
that braille translation is not the most instant or intuitive synergy. .
.

[...]

Groups "VIPhone" group.
an email to viphone+***@googlegroups.com.
Wayne Merritt
2014-09-19 21:42:45 UTC
Sorry, I suppose I should have explained more. I was wondering if you
could turn the rodar to braille when on a home screen and use the
braille display to open apps from the home screen? I know you can
braile things from the display in different edit boxes and files.

Wayne
RobH!
2014-09-20 09:33:07 UTC
Ok, this is much more interesting.

So, anyone with a working external keyboard, a bluetooth one - I know it's
been an issue!
But, if you have a working external keyboard, do as he asks, crank the
rotor round to braille, then tap the first letter of an app that should be
on the screen, and see if it finds anything.

That would be useful, and, if it worked for one, it should work for the
other.

JMO, RobH.

Charles Rivard
2014-09-20 01:04:02 UTC
The setting on the router is to be used when you want to use an onscreen
braille keyboard that is built into oS8. If you want to use your braille
display just as you currently do, you do it exactly as you currently do.
HTH.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished,
you! really! are! finished!

alia robinson
Alex Hall
2014-09-20 01:24:51 UTC
I know what the OP is saying though, and no you can't. He is asking if he can now use the display's keyboard to search for and open apps on the home screen like the on-screen braille or handwriting modes allow. Unless I missed something, this is still not possible.
Post by Wayne Merritt
Greetings all. I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 7. I haven't upgraded yet
and am not sure tha i Iwill until I get a new iPhone 6 next week or
the week after. I have seen people talk about being able to type in
Braille in iOS 8. My question is: can this be done with a Braille
display? In other words, when on iOS 8 can I turn my rodar to braille
and then write in Braille using my Focus 14 Blue display? I sure hope
so since I sent a note to Apple Accessibility about this not long ago
and it would be great if they added that ability.
--
---
Have a great day,
Alex Hall
***@icloud.com
Flor Lynch
2014-09-20 02:06:59 UTC
Perhaps there would need to be a specific 'fraille display' Rotor setting for this? I think Apple/VO can only go so far with differing hardware braille drivers, so that this is unlikely any time soon. .

RobH!
2014-09-20 09:37:13 UTC
Has anyone tried it yet, like I said in a previous post, can you type a
letter on an external keyboard in that mode braille/hand-writing, and have
it find something.

I haven't got a bt keyboard to play with right now or would test it myself.

RobH, wondering where to borrow one.

Teresa Cochran
2014-09-20 12:18:50 UTC
I'm confused by your question, because using the onscreen keyboard doesn't have anything to do with an external device. It's like turning to handwriting mode and trying to use an external keyboard. I don't think the two modes are compatible. I did try using a Braille display to enter text while on the home screen, and it doesn't work, with or without the onscreen mode being activated.

Teresa

"We can see with the eyes, but we see with the brain as well, and seeing with the brain is often called imagination."--Oliver Sacks
Charles Rivard
2014-09-20 15:50:28 UTC
No. If your rotor is set to handwriting, handwriting is all you can do, and
not from an external device. It is done on the touch screen. That would be
like trying to write onto a sheet of paper by using a typewriter across the
room that had no paper in it.

---

David Chittenden
2014-09-20 03:03:38 UTC
Well, it can be done the same way it is done with a QWERTY keyboard, through spotlight search. I always use handwriting feature for this purpose, so do not remember how to bring up spotlight search.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: ***@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone
Christopher Chaltain
2014-09-20 04:42:43 UTC
Do a three finger swipe down on a home screen to bring up the spot light
search.
Post by Wayne Merritt
[...]
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail
RobH!
2014-09-20 09:41:02 UTC
Coo, that's useful; not done that before, got more than I bargained for,
too.

Rh.

RobH!
2014-09-20 09:26:51 UTC
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but input from an external braille keyboard would
send to the iDevice just like a qwerty external keyboard, so cranking round
the rotor to braille would serve no purpose, probably complicate the issue.

The rotor setting is for those who can't or don't have an external braille
keyboard.

robH.

christopher hallsworth

Wayne Merritt
2014-09-21 20:01:00 UTC
Okay, thanks all for the responses. I was talking about the ability
to, perhaps enter text with a Braille display like the new braille
input mode or handwriting modes for entering text. I don't think that
it would be that difficult since many displays are already supported
and can be used to enter text. In my suggestion to Apple
Accessibility, I mentioned that perhaps a dot 3 and space or dot 6 and
space could be used to switch between numbers, contracted, and
uncontracted braille. Given the new braille input mode I have heard of
in iOS 8, it seems like this could be possible. Oh well, perhaps in a
future update. I think it would be cool if they added it though since
that could mean input by Braille display to even more places in iOS.

Best,
Wayne
Teresa Cochran

Wayne Merritt
2014-09-21 20:43:33 UTC
Understood. I was thinking it would be handy to enter the first few
letters of an app's name on a home screen with a braille display,
verses having to search each screen or find a certain app which may be
on screen 4 or 7 and then open the app.

Wayne
Post by Wayne Merritt
[...]
can be searched at