Using Gmail on the IPhone
Susie Stageberg
2018-06-12 22:40:29 UTC
Good afternoon all. I'm Susie Stageberg and am new to this group. I'm a
retired librarian and I got an iPhone 7+ for Christmas last year. I am
slowly, slowly figuring out how to use it.

One brick wall I have run into is trying to access my gmail account on the
phone. I open the Mail app, put in my e-mail address, and my password, but
nothing happens. There is obviously a trick, something I'm not doing.

I use a Logitech blue tooth keyboard with the phone.

Thanks for any help; I am counting on all you smart people to help me master
this new device.

Susie

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Alan Lemly
2018-06-13 00:42:03 UTC
Hi Susie,

Welcome to the list and I'll do my best to help you. I also have a gmail account but please realize that I set it up on my iPhone at the beginning of 2013. Also realize that your settings can depend on what you want to accomplish and how you have your mail set up for your computer and any email client you might use with it. I have one gmail account and I use Outlook 2010 as my email client on my Windows 7 computer. I use the POP or post office protocol for getting my mail on my computer. With that protocol, the messages are completely downloaded to my computer and then are transferred to an all mail folder on the gmail servers. I believe I set this up quite a while ago and did it with my computer and a browser at the gmail web mail site. I have my gmail account on my iPhone 7 running iOS 11.4 set as the IMAP protocol which I highly recommend for these devices. With IMAP, only a small piece of the message and subject is actually transferred to your device I believe instead of the full message being downloaded to it. Others can correct me if I've got this wrong.

Here are the steps to set up your mail account on your iPhone:

1. Double tap Settings which should be on your first screen of icons like your desktop on your computer.

2. Swipe right to go through the list until you reach Accounts and passwords and double tap it.

3. I don't expect you'll have an email account listed under the Accounts heading since it hasn't been set up so you'll need to double tap on Add account.

4. In the list that's presented, you should double tap on Google account since that's what gmail is.

5. I'm not sure what specifically comes next because I didn't want to set up another Google account but I expect you'll have to give your email address and perhaps a password and probably select a default setup for gmail which should be okay. I think you also should select the mail protocol here and I'd recommend you pick IMAP.

Hopefully, this will get you started and I expect others more knowledgeable than I probably gave more detailed instructions while I was composing this but please post back with any other questions.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Alan Lemly

Maria Reyes

Alan Lemly
2018-06-13 04:14:31 UTC
Hi Maria,

Thanks for filling in the details I could not provide. Hopefully, Susie is on her way to getting her account set up on her iPhone.

Alan Lemly

Susie Stageberg
2018-06-13 16:48:36 UTC
I’m stuck trying to set up my Google account. I have the same setup as Alan does: Outlook 2010 and Windows 7 on the computer (it’s reassuring to know I’m not the only one with this configuration.) On the phone, I have gone into Settings, then Accounts, then Google, then Create Account. It wants my name. I double-tapped to edit the “first name” field, but it keeps saying “insertion point at end” and when I try to type my name on the blue tooth keyboard, I get those little thunks that mean “you screwed up.” I have been in and out of this dialog now a dozen times, and no joy. The keyboard is working for everything else. If this were Windows I would say the focus isn’t in the form field. It said “double tap to edit” and I did.

Is it okay to cry now?

Susie

Alan Lemly
2018-06-13 16:57:32 UTC
Susie,

Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't use a Bluetooth keyboard with my iPhone so someone else will have to chime in. But I can definitely say that you should hold the tears because I'm sure someone on this list can help.

Alan Lemly

Maria Reyes
2018-06-13 17:08:30 UTC
Susie, when in a text field if you just get those baunking noises, try turning off your keyboard and turning it back on. Also try turning quick nav off by pressing the left and right arrows at the same time.
Hope this helps

Sieghard Weitzel
2018-06-13 04:46:51 UTC
Hi Susie,

It will also depend on whether you have your Google Id set up for 2-factor authentication. If so you may need to log in, generate an app specific password and then use said password when you set up the account.

christopher hallsworth
2018-06-13 07:14:25 UTC
Hi.

As an FYI, the Gmail app, not Inbox for Gmail but the official Gmail app, is very good and is totally accessible with VoiceOver. It even works with Google accounts with two factor authentication enabled and even supports the recently added Google prompt where you receive a notification from a trusted device to approve the attempted sign in, no need to remember those random numbers you receive by text. This is what I use for managing my Gmail.

wui chin Leong
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 3:40 PM
Good afternoon all. I’m Susie Stageberg and am new to this group. I’m a retired librarian and I got an iPhone 7+ for Christmas last year. I am slowly, slowly figuring out how to use it.
One brick wall I have run into is trying to access my gmail account on the phone. I open the Mail app, put in my e-mail address, and my password, but nothing happens. There is obviously a trick, something I’m not doing.
I use a Logitech blue tooth keyboard with the phone.
Thanks for any help; I am counting on all you smart people to help me master this new device.
Susie
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone <https://groups.google.com/group/viphone>.
---

Joanne Chua
2018-06-13 12:02:01 UTC
Hi,

Go to the app store and search for gmail. otherwise
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmail-email-by-google/id422689480?mt=8

HTH
Would any one be able to send me the link to it I can’t find it
On Jun 13, 2018, at 1:14 AM, christopher hallsworth