iOS Delay in braille display input
Jeremy
2016-06-29 21:00:00 UTC
Hi All,

For the braille display and iOS users out there...

Do you find there is a delay from the point you type with your braille
display's keyboard and the audio output from VoiceOver on your iPhone or
iDevice?

I'm hearing from braille display users that there is a glitch which prevents
instant speech feedback on an iPhone.

They are reporting that when using a regular Bluetooth qwerty keyboard with
an iOS device there is no problem. Its when they try to type with the
braille display that causes the delay in audio feedback.

Please post if this is happening to you as I'm just about to purchase a
braille display to go along with my iOS device, but this bug is a little
worrisome. :)

JR

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at ***@caraquinn.com

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Davy Cuppens
2016-06-29 21:14:52 UTC
Hi

I found this a problem in ios8 but this has been improved in ios9. I have
another problem.
I am using the Smartbeetle of Hims INC and when I am typing text some signs
or letters are skipped in the text while they were typed correctly. Maybe
one could say I am bad in brail typing which is not true I've been typing
braille for 36 years now without any problems. Moreover, I can reproduce the
phenomena by using the clipboard mode, typing some text in it, then reread
the text to see whether there are any mistakes or not, then push enter and
paste the text into the ios device. After doing so, some spaces and typed
letters do not appear in the text.
Can this be reproduced by others?
Regards
Davy

[...]

"VIPhone" group.
email to viphone+***@googlegroups.com.

'Carol Pearson' via VIPhone
2016-06-29 22:27:16 UTC
Davy,

Does all the text (apart from perhaps odd letters or spaces) get
transcribed these days? It didn't when first I tried in IOS8 when using
the virtual clipboard setting. I'm thinking of giving it another go ...

Carol P
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- From: Jeremy

Davy Cuppens
2016-06-30 13:41:39 UTC
Carol

I do not understand exactly what you mean. But I give the simple example:
you type in clipboard mode: the weather is cold and chilly today and paste
that text onto the device and becomes: the weathr s cldand chilly today.

Richard Turner
2016-06-30 14:18:41 UTC
Have you spoken with the braille display manufacturer?
Richard

Scott Dollar
2016-06-29 21:30:45 UTC
Hi Jeremy,

I do not have that issues while I am typing on my braille display with IOS.

Hope this help you.

Cheers,

Scott Dollar

Jeremy
2016-06-29 21:59:35 UTC
Thanks for the feedback, so I'm clear, the question was whether or not there is a delay in speech output in your iOS device when you enter text using a braille keyboard.

JR

Richard Turner
2016-06-29 22:35:49 UTC
There maybe some slight variation between braille devices. With the Braille Edge from HIMS, if the hardware keyboard feedback is set to words, there is no noticeable delay. That is, after you type a word, and hit space, the word is spoken almost immediately.
Much better now in iOS 9.3 than it was in iOS 8.
I can't speak for other braille devices.
If you set the hardware feedback to characters, or both characters and words, it does not work as well for me.

Richard

(From a poster of a church cemetery)
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

It's the same when you are stupid.
(Sent from my iPhone 5S)

Liel Ben Simon ליאל בן סימון