Braille Inpput: What Helped me Figure it out
Sandy Finley
2014-09-26 02:01:17 UTC
Nicki and others,

I don’t know if this will help you but here is a set of steps I have learned from others that helped me with the braille input.

1. When you land in an edit field turn your rotor once to the right. The Braille keyboard is usually there because the Braille setting on your rotor follows the edit field around.

2. I find it useful to use away mode. For some reason, when in table mode, dots 1, 2, 3 appear on the right so everything is backwards.

3. Once in a way mode, Do not calibrate just write.

Unfortunately, when trying to use contracted Braille the app does not echo characters. I like to have characters echoed at this point so I write in unconstructed Braille.

4. Flick once left to erase a character and once right for space.

5.

6. When done rotor once left or right, then you can use VO gestures again. HTH

Sandy
--
The following information is important for all members of the viphone list. All new members to the this list are moderated by default. If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. The archives for this list can be searched at http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/.
---
Cheryl Homiak
2014-09-26 04:08:41 UTC
Okay, I've experimented with this in the light of people saying the dots stay backward in tabletop mode and here's what I found. But it's very confusing to try to write correctly so it has taken me a long time to put this down to try to communicate. I don't know if this is how it is "supposed" to work but this is what works for me for tabletop mode.

If I have the phone on my lap flat with the home button on my right and tturn the phone away from me so the home button and screen face out and then turn it back toward me, , my dots are backward. In other words, goign from left to right along the long edge of the phone that is closest to me, I will have 6 5 4 1 2 3, with 3 nearest the home button. If I put three fingers of my left hand down from left to right toward the left end of the long side but going from left to right on the long side, I will get an underscore. If I put three fingers of my right hand going along the long side further right, I will get an l. If instead, I hold the phone in my lap, again with the home button to my right and turn the phone so the home button is facing me, still on the right, then turn it back to tabletop, the dots from left to right are 3 2 1 4 5 6 with 6 nearest the home button. Then putting three fingers of my left hand down from left to right on the long side that is toward me gives me an l where putting three fingers down on that long side but further right gives me an underscore. Brailling then feels so much like brailling on a braille writer that I forget and want to do a space in the middle of the long side by touching there where a space key would be on a braille writer. This of course is wrong and instead usually puts an a where I wanted a space.

Here's the same equation with the home button on the left:
If I hold the phone flat on my lap with the home button to the left, turn it away so the home button is away from me but still on the left, and then turn it back flat in tabletop mode, again, i have from left to right: 6 5 4 1 2 3 with 3 the furthest away from the home button. If, however, I hold it on my lap with the home button to the left and turn the phone toward me so the home button and screen are facing me, then turn the phone back flat, the dots are then as they should be from left to right: 3 2 1 4 5 6, which is the way they are on a braille writer except that the braille writer would have the space key between the 1 and the 4.

I have done this several times and it appears to be consistent. So in other words, what works for me if I want to do tabletop is to hold the phone flat on my lap turn it toward me instead of away from me till it says away mode and then put it flat into tabletop mode again. The dots are then on the long side closest to me and not on the two ends of the phone.

If I am understanding rightly though I haven't tried to do away mode much, in away mode your dots are at the opposit ends of the phone so that 1 2 and 3 would be on the left short side and 4 5 6 are on the right short side which of course does not feel like brailling with a Perkins braille writer at least not for me.

Hth.
--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day:
"This I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the Lord
never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness."
(Lamentations 3:21-23 ESV)
Traci Duncan

Cheryl Homiak

Teresa Cochran
2014-09-26 07:25:13 UTC
Thanks for the explanation,
cheryl. I had been flipping my iPod 180 degrees to get into tabletop mode, but rotating the screen toward me and then into the flat position accomplishes the same thing. :)

Thanks,
Teresa

"We can see with the eyes, but we see with the brain as well, and seeing with the brain is often called imagination."--Oliver Sacks
RobH.
2014-09-26 05:54:42 UTC
Love the way you put this, so it's smarter than we all thought. Tip the
face towards you first before putting it flat, and the dots will fall to
your nearest edge in the right order. Bet it would work the same if you had
the Home button to the left, too. Mine's not on yet, so can't try it first;
just a good guess.

RobH.

Post by Sandy Finley
[...]
"VIPhone" group.
email to viphone+***@googlegroups.com.
Alex Hall
2014-09-26 14:20:03 UTC
That's a great explanation, and it worked for me... except for one major problem. I'm now consistently getting dots 1 and 2 reversed. That is, the dots that are across from each other on my screen are 3 and 6, as they should be, but then 1 and 5, then 2 and 4. To type an A, I'd need to use my middle finger, not my index; my index would type a dot 2. Why this is happening is beyond me, but I have so ar only seen it after calibrating. Now, calibrated or not makes no difference. How very strange!
Post by Sandy Finley
[...]
Have a great day,
Alex Hall
***@icloud.com
RobH.
2014-09-26 05:48:36 UTC
Good summary, thanks. Also, and only read this yesterday, a 2finger scrub
gesture will dismiss the braille input keyboard, too.

Rh.

Dan Beaver
2014-09-26 14:19:57 UTC
Hi,

I haven't seen the manual or anything yet and do not have IOS 8 yet but I have one question about the braille input keyboard.

Is it possible to tell the phone to always use braille in any edit field? Or, do we always have to switch it to braille each time we move to an edit field?

thanks.

Dan Beaver

Alex Hall
Teresa Cochran

Nicki Keck
2014-09-27 13:23:34 UTC
I am happy to report that Cheryl’s tips have helped me and now I am using braille input fairly effectively. The only problem I had was one of my own making, after I figured it out. I switched to 6dot uncontracted so that my characters would be spelled out. Kept thinking I should be using computer braille and so kept pressing dots 4-6 for a period and getting underscore and getting frustrated, until it hit me, 6-dot uncontracted would mean regular grade 1 braille. So once I figured out that, I am actually really happy with the 6-dot uncontracted, because getting dots 1-6 figured out is enough; I don’t want to deal with dots 7 and 8 as well. I think I may even switch to 6-dot uncontracted on my braille display as well. I still make some mistakes, but I am way better than I was and it is faster even than direct touch typing. I may even remove fleksy, which isn’t working right for me anyway, as braille input for me is faster than even that. So thakns for all the help.