looking for input on any of the amazon devices
Jed Barton
2017-08-05 04:06:10 UTC
Hey guys,

I thought this might be a good place to post this. I'm thinking of
getting 1 of those cool amazon devices, i think she calls herself
Alexa. I'm looking for input on accessibility, functionality and all
that? I heard some of them work with your iphone. Anyone have any
suggestions? I'm still trying to figure out what exactly these devices
do and what the purpose of them is. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Jed

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Merv Keck
2017-08-05 04:14:22 UTC
All of the Amazon devices are accessible if you are referring to the Show, Dot, Tap, or Echo.
There are currently over 15,000 skills available and more being added each day.
Merv

-----

For all things Echo:
Main+***@echoing.groups.io

Jed Barton

'Sandratomkins' via VIPhone
2017-08-05 13:40:13 UTC
hi,
I have a couple of the DOTS, but would like to know more about the show. can anyone explain how it works and what it does and if it is potentially useful, tickly, with low or no vision in mind?

sent from the dark side of the moon

Merv Keck
2017-08-05 17:41:39 UTC
Hi,
On the iPhone side, you just need the Alexa app. You can manage multiple Amazon devices through the Alexa app.
To answer the question about the usefulness of the Show in relation to other Amazon devices, that would depend on the individual.
I can think of several uses for mine if someone sighted had one. But I don't really have a desire for one just now because I already have a Dot and an Echo. And I don't feel a need to bring up YouTube videos that I cannot see by voice. Or video chats I can't see. Or send video messages I can't see. I can do that on skype. Laughs!
One good thing that amazon is doing though is that every skill that is being developed for the show is being required to be functional for all amazon Echo devices without video. So the screen is a bonus but not required for any skill even if developed for the Show.
Merv

-----

For all things Echo:
Main+***@echoing.groups.io

terrie arnold
2017-08-06 11:50:10 UTC
Well I have the Amazon Alexa and then had it for about a month and it is absolutely wonderful, you can search for a Recipes any kind of thing you think you can want to cook you can even tell you how to cook a hotdog really I am so serious. Also I will set timers various timers not just one.
It will tell you the weather, and you can call people and I repeat you can call people that have an Amazon.are any Amazon echo they both work the same so you can make clear phone calls through device as long as they're in your database on your phone. So just a wonderful wonderful thing plus plays music anything you can think of I mean literally anything you can think of from listen to music from the 20s and 30s I have audible books it can read books through your device if you have those downloaded and can't think of the Amazon tablet right the top of my head but it'll read the books if you have books on there it will read those books as well so a very smart little device to having your home and you can also hook up with the devices to turn your lights on to but there are more devices coming out that will work through this last such as crockpots, coffee makers,, stats, Doraville's, locks for your door to open your door so such a wonderful little device is it is something I really didn't think I would use very much but I'm finding out that I use it quite a bit and you can listen to various baseball Games so there's so much on this device that I don't even know about and I'm learning new things every day, oh and yes there are games, you can play Jeopardy and word jams and the hangman your sis and List and List things that are available on this thing to entertain yourself so they're 35 bucks at Best Buy I think they are as much as 50 bucks for the echo..
But if you were an Amazon prime member you can get the Amazon Alexa which has the large speaker and it and you can spread the payments out into five payments which makes it really more affordable so Amazon prime is a nice thing to have so much my Amazon Alexa so I can say all the other fun to store did the other fun thing they have is a skill that is called guard dog and you can say guard dog and this big ferocious dog will start barking at various random times so it sounds like you have a very large dog in your area so thought it was kind of cool so cold you can download the Amazon Alexa app onto your phone and use and use it to call your friends that have echo dots or have the Amazon Alexa app on their phone as well so there are several ways to use this

My thoughts for today

Wayne Merritt
2017-08-07 18:34:42 UTC
I think with the music, if you are an Amazon Prime subscriber, you get
a sampling of 2 million songs. Though there is variety in this
sampling, after a while, the songs seem to repeat themselves in the
different playlists. There is an unlimited music subscription program
just for Echo owners called something like Amazon Music Unlimited,
which costs $3.99 monthly. That is the cheapest monthly music
streaming price I've ever heard of. It lets you create playlists and
save songs offline, but since I already have a family subscription to
Apple Music, there does not seem to be an incentive to getting the
unlimited music on the Echo. Still, I can see how it could be used if
you don't have Apple Music, or want to have access to unlimited music
all of the time. There is a way to setup instant ordering with the
Echo, but I've chosen not to do that, as a safe guard for accidentally
ordering something that I didn't want. Or, to prevent Alexa from
triggering on those magic words spoken from other media. I have the
Echo Dot and it is extremely easy to use to set timers, play games,
check the next game of your favorite sports team, and much more.
What's fun to do is asking Alexa to play the top songs from a certain
year.

Wayne
Post by Merv Keck
All of the Amazon devices are accessible if you are referring to the Show,
Dot, Tap, or Echo.
There are currently over 15,000 skills available and more being added each day.
Merv
-----
I thought this might be a good place to post this. I'm thinking of
getting 1 of those cool amazon devices, i think she calls herself Alexa.
I'm looking for input on accessibility, functionality and all that? I
heard some of them work with your iphone. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'm still trying to figure out what exactly these devices do and what the
purpose of them is. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Jed
---
---
---
Connect with me on GoodReads:
www.goodreads.com/waynesbooks

Sarai Bucciarelli
2017-08-05 15:34:46 UTC
Hi:
Love the Echo. They are all accessible. I have the Echo Dot and the regular Echo.

Sarai D Bucciarelli www.linkedin.com/in/SaraiDBucciarelli

Larry Lumpkin
2017-08-05 15:55:53 UTC
What is the show.

Merv Keck
2017-08-05 17:33:31 UTC
The Show is the newest in the amazon line of Echo devices. It is an Echo with a seven inch touch screen. And it is accessible with voice view. The average cost in US dollars is around $229. Chris G of Mystic Access did a podcast and review of the unboxing and accessibility of the new Echo show.
I have an Original echo and a Dot. I actually like the Dot better even though the sound is smaller unless it is connected to an external speaker via Bluetooth.
The Echo will also act as a speaker if you connect your iPhone via Bluetooth. But the volume is rather low.

-----

For all things Echo:
Main+***@echoing.groups.io

Larry Lumpkin
2017-08-05 17:01:20 UTC
I just think it is more gracious and less conspicuous to get sighted guidance to your gate.

Larry Lumpkin
2017-08-05 17:02:22 UTC
Sorry, wrong thread.