iOS kindle app and braille display
Holly Anderson
2018-04-19 23:47:45 UTC
Hi all. I’m having a weird problem using the kindle app with my braille display. I’m using an orbit reader 20 and the kindle app seems to skip around sometimes. Sometimes it won’t advance at all when I press the pan button and sometimes its starts turning pages every time I press the pan button. I don’t know if there’s a setting I can change or if there’s a way to fix this. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks.
Holly

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Michael Feir
2018-04-20 00:25:30 UTC
Hey Holly. I'm not having any issues with Kindle and my Focus40. However,
one thought did occur to me. There's a setting in the VoiceOver Braille
setting where you can indicate whether panning will automatically advance
to the next page or not. I have it set to on but if you turned it off,
perhaps that would help. Of course, you should be certain you ahve the
latest iOS and version of the Kindle app installed. Another thing to look
at is the font setting. I have it set to the Bookerly font and have it as
small as possible. Hope that helps.
Hi all. I’m having a weird problem using the kindle app with my braille
display. I’m using an orbit reader 20 and the kindle app seems to skip
around sometimes. Sometimes it won’t advance at all when I press the pan
button and sometimes its starts turning pages every time I press the pan
button. I don’t know if there’s a setting I can change or if there’s a way
to fix this. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks.
Holly
---
Michael Feir
Twitter: mfeir
Skype: michael-feir
Check out my blog at:
http://www.michaelfeir.blogspot.ca

Currently writing Personal Power: The iOS Edition
Regular presenter on Kelly And Company
Learn about iOS, audio dramas, podcasts and accessible games
Thursdays at 2:10 PM Eastern
Www.ami.ca/kellyco

Creator of Journeys of the Mind lectures
2015
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2015/01/journeys-of-mind-play-is-where.html?m=0

Volunteer at New Horizons Peel Multicultural Centre
www.peelmc.ca
2014

Disability advocate
Meadowvale Community Christian Reformed Church
www.meadowvalecrc.ca
2013--2014

Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011-2013
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2009/01/personal-power.html

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2009/01/life-of-word-and-sound.html

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine 1996-2004

Lelia Struve
2018-04-20 00:41:52 UTC
Hi there, actually yes ever since the latest update I too have had this issue with my focus 40. I will try what you said Michael and see if that works. Thanks

Lelia

Sent from my iPhone
[...]
‹>
Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011-2013

M. Taylor
2018-04-21 04:28:59 UTC
Hello Mike,

Are you using Kindle and your Braille display with VoiceOver unmuted?

Just curious.

Mark

Michael Feir
2018-04-21 10:26:11 UTC
I've always muted the speech while reading a book in Braille. I never
thought of trying it with speech because it just seemed... well... wrong I
guess. It was one of those decisions I never gave conscious thought to
until just now when you asked..

Angie Nutt
2018-04-20 11:52:41 UTC
Yes,

Had this problem with a Esys 12 but then it got fixed though I’m not sure whether it was an update to Kindle or iOS. Haven’t used Kindle for a while though so don’t know the state of play as of now but am aware others are having similar problems.

All the best
Angie
All the best
Angie

M. Taylor
2018-04-21 04:25:58 UTC
Hello Holly,

I'm using a Focus 40 Blue but have noticed that, as of the latest release, one must mute VoiceOver speech for best Braille display results in the Kindle app. Generally speaking, I use the M-Chord key-combo directly from my Braille display to mute and unmute VoiceOver speech.

Also, in some cases, adjusting the font size of the text, from within the Kindle app, has been known to resolve panning issues for some 20-cell displays, in the past.

Good Luck and let us know what works for you, okay?

Mark

Holly Anderson

M. Taylor
2018-04-21 18:38:23 UTC
Hello Holly,

I believe what you are experiencing is somewhat unique to the 20-cell displays.

A list member, I believe her name is Melissa, had the same problem and was able to resolve it but I cannot remember her solution as she did not post it on-list.

Perhaps you should download a free iBook title and see how it works with your display. It may also be useful to attempt reading several Kindle titles to see if all have this same problem or only one particular title.

The point is that you must narrow down the scenario in which this glitch occurs.

It may also be useful to contact your Braille display manufacturer.

Have you attempted to use different encoding? For example, try switching to computer Braille or UEB and see what happens.

Try un-paring, and then re-pairing the display to your iOS device after a iOS reboot.

It may be useful to check the general font and display settings on your iOS device, outside of the Kindle app, as well. Some low vision users increase font size, turn bold display on, disable the standard screen resolution, etc. You must be certain that all of these settings are set to their default parameters.

At present, I cannot reproduce your issues, when I have VoiceOver speech muted, when using my Focus 40 Blue.

Mark

n***@gmail.com
2018-04-22 20:27:29 UTC
Hi:

My name is Nino I just got a braille display and am working with it, How do you mute the speech on the ipad?

Thanks.

Lielle Ben Simon‫ליאל בן סימון‬‎
2018-04-22 21:32:00 UTC
Hi Nino and everyone, in order to mute the speach, doo double tap with 3 fingers or command on your braille display, in every braille display this command is difrente.

Sent from my iphone

Anna Dresner

Hi all. I’m having a weird problem using the kindle app with my braille display. I’m using an orbit reader 20 and the kindle app seems to skip around sometimes. Sometimes it won’t advance at all when I press the pan button and sometimes its starts turning pages every time I press the pan button. I don’t know if there’s a setting I can change or if there’s a way to fix this. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks.
Holly
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone <https://groups.google.com/group/viphone>.