Is anybody having any success with the Fleksy keyboard?
Chuck Dean
2016-04-04 21:28:04 UTC
Hello all,
I used to be a big fan of the Flexi keyboard, but since it's updates to
being a third-party keyboard, I have had absolutely no success typing with
this thing.
Whenever I type a word it types gibberish as my first selection, and
usually my second or third selection is what I actually typed. Even when I
type the word I, it gives me the wrong letter!

Am I doing something wrong, or is everybody else having as much trouble
with this keyboard as I am?

I remember the old Fleksy V.O., which worked absolutely perfectly. It was
fantastic for the visually impaired, and I used it constantly. I could type
on it five times faster than any other keyboard I've come across. But they
no longer supported.
I guess it work too good!

I have tried the Swift Key keyboard, with some success. It is not nearly as
fast as the old Fleksy V.O.
Chuck

P.S. I noticed that they no longer have the Wii love feedback but in their
app. Now they expect you to go to Facebook, which I am not a member.

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at ***@caraquinn.com

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
e***@gmail.com

Krister Ekstrom
2016-04-05 06:28:56 UTC
I am using it every day and love it.
/Krister
Post by Chuck Dean
[...]
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone <https://groups.google.com/group/viphone>.
---

Chuck Dean

Alan Lemly
2016-04-04 22:11:05 UTC
Chuck,

I wrote a Fleksy Keyboard tutorial and a tips guide for the first-time Fleksy keyboard user in the middle of January and though they've released a couple of upgrades since then, I think most of what I wrote is still accurate.

You can download the Fleksy Keyboard tutorial.html from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubtto7ggk95vmjc/Fleksy%20Keyboard%20tutorial.html?dl=0

You can download the First-Time Fleksy Keyboard User tips.htm from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/476an5w5l60w3dt/First-Time%20Fleksy%20Keyboard%20User%20tips.html?dl=0

I marked up each of the above documents so that putting your rotor on headings and single-finger swiping will jump between sections. Some sections contain bulleted lists so single finger right swipes should jump between bulleted items.

I've noticed a bit of improvement with the Fleksy Keyboard when manually typing in a letter at a time in the last couple of upgrades. The keyboard also seems to behave better when it's called up for input in another app but I admit, it can still be frustrating when doing this. It still has the annoying bug of repeating what you just deleted when you press the first letter of new input for those of us using VoiceOver. I've trained myself to ignore the first spoken thing following a deletion.

I hope you find these helpful and post back if you have more comments and questions. Oh, and they've never made the Fleksy Keyboard anything as easy to use as the Fleksy VO/original Fleksy was for VoiceOver users in my opinion.

Alan Lemly

Chuck Dean
2016-04-04 22:15:06 UTC
Thanks Alan, I found your tutorial with a search of the B iPhone topics. I
will read it thoroughly, and hopefully I will be able to use this app. But,
I haven't had much success.
Chuck

Alan Lemly
2016-04-04 23:22:39 UTC
Chuck,

Best of luck with the Fleksy Keyboard. I've found it fairly daunting and I attribute a lot of that to my love of the original Fleksy app which I wish they still made available in the Apps Store.

Alan

Chuck Dean
2016-04-04 23:30:17 UTC
I totally agree!
Chuck (mobile)
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 5:15 PM
To: VIPhone
[...]
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "VIPhone" group.

Krister Ekstrom

Sieghard Weitzel
2016-04-05 13:51:36 UTC
Hi Chuck,

I spend a bit of time practicing as well and also had no luck. I don’t mind learning new stuff and am fairly patient, but at this point being successful with Fleksy seems to be beyond me.

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at ***@caraquinn.com <mailto:***@caraquinn.com>

Chuck Dean
2016-04-04 22:51:10 UTC
Hi Alan, I read your tutorial, excellent job!
However, I went back and tried Fleksy and had very poor results. It's
first prediction is wrong about 99% of the time. Second or third prediction
is usually the correct one.
I do not know if this will improve over time, I seem to remember that it
does have a learning future with in it. It is technically faster than the
iOS keyboard, but it is very frustrating!

By the way, I went back to my old Fleksy VO app, and tried typing with it.
It got every word right! Unfortunately, many of the options no longer work.
Although messages and email still work.
But as I typed, no text was displayed.

Devin Prater

Alan Lemly
2016-04-04 23:34:25 UTC
Chuck,

I still find the Fleksy VO app very useful and still use it. I'm trying to make myself use the Fleksy Keyboard more often since like they say, practice makes perfect, or in this case, practice does give you better results.

After you type what you need with Fleksy VO, do a 2 finger swipe up and you'll be taken to the screen where VO will read your input and let you copy it for pasting to the app of your choice.

You might try using the Fleksy Keyboard in minimal mode instead of with the spacebar present. This will present the keyboard more like the original Fleksy app. You can switch from the spacebar keyboard by doing a 2 finger swipe down in the keyboard area. A 2 finger swipe up while in the minimal Fleksy keyboard will switch back to the Fleksy spacebar keyboard.

Good luck.

Alan

Chuck Dean

Chuck Dean

Alan Lemly
2016-04-05 04:25:58 UTC
Chuck,

That's great. I found I got much better at it too after writing that tutorial and practicing a lot more with it. I still get frustrated from time to time particularly when I try using it to do input in another app requiring a search or other text input. Sometimes this just seems to blow up and I go back to the standard iOS keyboard.

I hope you have continued success.

Alan

Chuck Dean

Krister Ekstrom

Chuck Dean

Krister Ekstrom

Alan Lemly
2016-04-05 13:49:55 UTC
Chuck,

I've experienced what you're describing with Fleksy just announcing keyboard and not registering any other key presses. Usually, a restart of my iPhone with the home and power buttons fixes this problem. I'll also say it seems to arise in apps not requiring much keyboard input other than an occasional search.

You might try going into settings, general, keyboard and removing the Fleksy keyboard from the installed list. You don't actually have to uninstall the app from your device. I would then open the messages app and type a sample using the standard keyboard before turning Fleksy back on.

I will say I'm trying to use the Fleksy keyboard in spacebar mode since my experience is that it seems better behaved in this mode. You also have access to the button immediately to the left of the spacebar that will enable you to switch back to the standard keyboard.

I understand your frustration because the Fleksy keyboard seems unpredictable enough to make one unwilling to fool with it but progress is being made with VoiceOver with each subsequent upgrade.

Only you can decide whether the benefit of using Fleksy outweighs the cost of its frustrations.

Good luck with your decision.

Alan Lemly

Sent from my iPhone

Chuck Dean
2016-04-05 22:13:02 UTC
Hi Alan,
I finally figured out what my problem was. Some how I turned off direct touch typing, which I had to access with the rotor.
I am typing this with Fleksy, and I am having a good bit of success. 😎

Chuck (mobile)

Casey
2016-04-05 23:17:04 UTC
Hi I have this on my phone as well.
And I went to open it.
And it says install flexible button.
So I hit on that button and then it brings up something delaing with the
keyboards.
So I hit the back button and it takes me back to the install flexie
button again.
So how do I get this up and working.
Post by Chuck Dean
I was having some success with fleksy this afternoon when the
keyboard totally locked up. Now when I touch any key all it says is
keyboard, and doesn't do anything. Which also means that there is no
way to get out of the keyboard, the two finger swipe up and swipe
down does nothing. The only way to get out of the keyboard is to
delete it from the phone. I have restarted the phone, reinstall
Fleksy, turned off and turned on voiceover, nothing works. It is
totally locked up, totally useless.
I am however glad that you are having success with it. I used to love
Fleksy VO when it work, it was fantastic.
Chuck (mobile)
On Apr 4, 2016, at 11:39 PM, Krister Ekstrom
*Sent:*Monday, April 04, 2016 5:51 PM
*To:*VIPhone
Hi Alan, I read your tutorial, excellent job!
However, I went back and tried Fleksy and had very poor results.
It's first prediction is wrong about 99% of the time. Second or
third prediction is usually the correct one.
I do not know if this will improve over time, I seem to remember
that it does have a learning future with in it. It is technically
faster than the iOS keyboard, but it is very frustrating!
By the way, I went back to my old Fleksy VO app, and tried typing
with it. It got every word right! Unfortunately, many of the
options no longer work. Although messages and email still work.
But as I typed, no text was displayed.
Chuck
If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this
list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please
contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on
the list itself.
[...]
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/viphone/G8QPqf0R5wM/unsubscribe.

Alan Lemly
2016-04-05 23:29:14 UTC
Excellent, Chuck. I'll just say that the Fleksy keyboard has too many things that can cause it to burp and hopefully they will continue to decrease with future upgrades. I'm glad you're having some success with it.

Alan

Hi Alan, I read your tutorial, excellent job!

However, I went back and tried Fleksy and had very poor results. It's first prediction is wrong about 99% of the time. Second or third prediction is usually the correct one.

I do not know if this will improve over time, I seem to remember that it does have a learning future with in it. It is technically faster than the iOS keyboard, but it is very frustrating!

By the way, I went back to my old Fleksy VO app, and tried typing with it. It got every word right! Unfortunately, many of the options no longer work. Although messages and email still work.

But as I typed, no text was displayed.

Chuck

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at <mailto:***@caraquinn.com> ***@caraquinn.com

<http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/> http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---

Christina C.
2016-04-07 19:59:39 UTC
I just could not get efficient with Fleksy. I kept accidentally hitting keys that are not letters like the shift key and fleksy could not interpret my typing into words that were even close to what I meant. I was using the minimal keyboard but I just could not stop hitting keys that were not letters. :( I just don’t have the skills. I think there are plenty of people who are proficient with Fleksy and I am happy for them. :)

Chuck Dean

Krister Ekstrom

Christopher Chaltain
2016-04-05 12:00:30 UTC
It's hardly unanimous, and I don't think anyone is being flogged.
Remember, there are something like 1400 members on this list, and I
haven't seen nearly that many people claiming that Fleksy is useless,
and I've seen a few members like yourself trying to help the rest of us
who'd like to use Fleksy more. I'd encourage you not to get discouraged
and keep sending tips on how to use Fleksy to the list. There will
always be negativity out there, especially on a list with so many
members, but don't let that negativity get you down.
*Sent:*Monday, April 04, 2016 5:51 PM
*To:*VIPhone
[...]
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail

Sieghard Weitzel
2016-04-05 14:02:20 UTC
Hi Krister,

I am certainly not flogging you, in fact, I think it’s awesome you are so proficient with Fleksy and I wish I could be, but it seems to be one of those situations where you just seem to have a particular skill/ability which allows you to use it and most others don’t. I seem to remember you once wrote you can’t take good pictures with the iPhone. I think that is something that can be learned also and I certainly have no problems doing so and getting great results with apps like KNFB Reader, Tap Tap See, Talking Goggles etc. Sorry if it was a different thing you once stated you couldn’t do if your life depended on it or if I am mixing you up with somebody else, but there just are some things that are easier for some than for others. I typically have a pretty good spacial awareness of the screen and all that and I have tried everything you said and also read Alan’s excellent tutorial yet still find Fleksy is just not working for me. I sometimes hear Podcasts where people use Braille Input and it sounds like it works great and they are very fast with that. I wish I could do that, but unfortunately the hand injuries I have when I blew myself up 30 some years ago make that impossible, I only have two fingers and the thumb on each hand so can’t use braille input since you need at least three fingers. So I’m stuck with the regular iOS keyboard and of course dictation which works quite well. If I travel and only take my iPhone I usually bring a Bluetooth keyboard for situations where I may have to reply to an email and type quite a lot of text.

Regards,

Sieghard

Krister Ekstrom

rajmund
2016-04-05 15:57:57 UTC
I'm one of those fast braillests, people always wonder. I can be
as quick on my 5s, in braille, uncontracted, as some others with
direct touch on an iPad, for instance.

Sent from a BrailleNote

--
The following information is important for all members of the V
iPhone list..

If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this
list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate,
please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than
posting on the list itself.

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is
Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at
<mailto:***@caraquinn.com> ***@caraquinn..com

<http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/>
http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/