Solved: App recommendation needed to transfer text typed on Windows computer to iPhone
Alan Lemly
2018-08-24 20:31:52 UTC
Hello again List,

I found an answer to my own question and thought I'd post the details in
case anyone else likes typing on a full-sized computer keyboard for input to
their iOS device. I'm using an iPhone 8 running iOS 11.4.1

The app I found is named KeyWi Keyboard by Bitwise Software SL and it costs
99 cents US dollars.As it name implies, it is a third party keyboard that
must be installed under Settings, General, Keyboard with full access
granted. The app has detailed instructions about installation and is in
well-written English. After the keyboard is installed, when you're in a text
box with focus and the regular keyboard is on the screen, you simply double
tap and hold on the next keyboard button to the left of the spacebar and
slide your finger up to the list of available keyboards and release when
KeyWi is announced and then double tap. A popup screen at the bottom of the
page will provide the website address of http://connect.keywiapp.com
whenever the KeyWi keyboard is launched but its linked web page isn't
active. You must go to this web page to type your text to be transferred.
When you open this web page in your browser, I highly recommend you bookmark
the page. When you're at that page in your browser but a keyboard other than
KeyWi is running, the website says Waiting for keyboard, The title of this
page is Wifi Keyboard. When KeyWi is the active keyboard and you're at the
linked website, two button links appear at the top of the page and are
labeled Write as I Type and Write and Send. These can be easily access with
the Insert + F7 keystroke if you're running JAWS. As their names imply, the
Write as I Type option will result in anything you type in the website text
box to appear immediately in the text box with focus on your iDevice. I
prefer the Write and Send option because I'm able to proofread what I type
and also copy it to my clipboard for later use if need be before
transferring it to my iPhone. When you execute your option preference, JAWS
makes a nice high-pitched thunking sound to indicate that a text box has
opened where you type your input. If using the Write and Send option,when
you're happy with your typed text, tab once and you'll be taken to the Send
to Device button which will immediately transfer everything you typed in the
website text box to the text box on your iDevice with focus. Voiceover will
immediately speak the transferred textt. When I did this with the Messages
app, KeyWi seemed to use a compact voice instead of the high quality
Samantha voice I have on my iPhone. If you swipe out of the text box and
back to it, Voiceover speaks the input using whatever your default voice is.
The KeyWi bottomline menu when its keyboard is active has buttons for Hide
Keyboard, a status button that says Connected, and an ABC button that lets
you do editing of the transferred text. I personally prefer returning to the
standard keyboard if editing is needed and this will happen if you execute
the Hide Keyboard button. Actually, when you execute Hide Keyboard, whatever
keyboard is first in the list of your installed keyboards will open when
Hide Keyboard is executed.

I find the KeyWi keyboard very intuitive, accessible, and easy to use.
Since I'm at my computer keyboard quite a bit, I enjoy the ability to type
with my full-sized computer keyboard have that text immediately sent to my
iPhone for texting or other distribution.

I hope this information and short user guide of the KeyWi keyboard will be
helpful to others who might use it.

Alan Lemly

Hi List,

I just discovered one of the hazards of not being able to backup apps to a
local computer anymore following purchase of a new iPhone. When I restored
my iPhone 7 backup to my new iPhone 8 using my encrypted iTunes backup, the
Snippets app which I've used for years is no longer on my iPhone.
Apparently, it is no longer available in the Apps Store. I've posted about
how much I used this app formerly named TextSync from Notable Group to type
in a web page text box on my computer and have that text appear in the
iPhone app.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an accessible app that will do this
same thing? I've tried AirType which is a keyboard but it wasn't developed
by someone with English as their first language and it has some
communication issues and accessibility issues. I'd welcome any suggestions
because I had Snippets running in my App Switcher all the time as I used it
so much.

Thanks in advance.

Alan lemly

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Sieghard Weitzel
2018-08-25 03:48:31 UTC
Hi Alan,

I am curious, why go through all this trouble if I may call it this just to type on your computer keyboard and not just use a bluetooth keyboard instead?
I guess the only advantage I can possibly see is that if you are working on your computer and you have this webpage open where you can type to your phone that you could copy some text from some other application and paste it into this field.
I have a Logitech K780 keyboard and it is connected to my laptop as well as my iPhone on position 2, if I want to type a longer text message or email etc. on my phone all I have to do is press FN+F2 and 2 seconds later it has switched and I can type in whatever edit field I am in.

Best regards,
Sieghard

Alan Lemly
2018-08-25 04:52:07 UTC
Hi Sieghard,

I'm at my computer desk quite a bit and am used to typing on my IBM PC AT keyboard. Although I purchased a Bluetooth keyboard about 5 years ago, I decided I didn't want another device to have to carry when I travel nor did I want to learn what was needed to use the Bluetooth keyboard effectively. So, for me, this KeyWi keyboard was much less effort learning and using than a Bluetooth keyboard would be. Plus I don't believe they make a Bluetooth keyboard with the nice key spacing and positive click action of my old keyboard.

Sieghard Weitzel
2018-08-25 05:09:40 UTC
Hi Alan,

But when I looked at the app description it says your computer and iPhone have to be on the same WiFi network for this app to work so if you are traveling this solution may not work unless you are somewhere you can connect both devices to the same WiFi.
Anyways, I do understand that it is sometimes not easy to teach an old dog new tricks, but this Logitech K780 keyboard I am using is absolutely awesome to type on. I have several other logitech wireless keyboards at work, the MK530 is I think the model and I have had the more expensive MK710 (these are keyboard/mouse combos) and I don’t understand why Logitech can’t make the typing experience on them as good as on the K780. I like this keyboard so much that I amusing it as my primary keyboard at home with my laptop. The only drawback is that the function keys have no gapsbetween F4/F5 and F8/F9, but I simply put a tactile sticky dot on F4, F8 and F12 and it works just as good.

As far as learning how to get the most out of using a bluetooth keyboard with iOS I am also guilty of not doing so, I know the basics but for the most part I simply use it when I want to type, I use the touch screen to start an email, then I switch my K780 to my iPhone and start pounding away. When I’m done I switch it off again or switch it away to my PC, the onscreen keyboard and all the buttons reappear and I use the touch screen to send my email.

Alan Lemly
2018-08-25 05:25:13 UTC
i Sieghard,

Well, I think I might prefer the adage different strokes for different folks as opposed to you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I'm glad those Logitech keyboards are working so well for you. The fact is that I'm home most of the time working on my desktop computer. When I do travel, I don't take anything but my iPhone and am able to do the limited amount of typing needed with the FlickType app.

m***@gmail.com
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 9:52 PM

Sieghard Weitzel
2018-08-25 15:22:08 UTC
I have not because if I want a keyboard for my Windows PC/laptop as well as for my iPhone then it has to have a numeric pad for use with Jaws and while the K480 seems to be almost identical to the K780 it lacks the numeric pad on the right and it is also limited to bluetooth whereas the K780 is a bluetooth keyboard but it also comes with a USB dongle so you can truly use it for all devices even a desktop computer which does not have bluetooth.

On the Logitech site, I assume it was the canadian site, the K480 is listed for $69.99 and the K780 for $99.99, however, when I bought my K780 from Best Buy it was on sale for $59.99 canadian which was a killer deal.

I also have a K811 from years ago and if I want just something for my iOS device and to take when I am travelling where I don’t bring my laptop then I bring it because it is much lighter than the K780 or the K480 both of which weigh almost 2 pounds due to the extra weight Logitech builts in so you can stand a tablet up in the slot along the back without the whole thing tipping over.

Regards,
Sieghard