iTunes 12.6.0.2 for Windows and Strange Behavior
Alan Lemly
2017-04-05 00:59:12 UTC
Hello List,

I updated my iTunes running on my Windows 7 computer before upgrading to iOS
10.3 because an iTunes dialog informed me that it required updating to this
version to be compatible with iOS 10.3.

I'm getting some strange behavior after updating to iTunes 12.6 and I'm
wondering if others could comment on whether they're experiencing any of
this. Specifically,

1. When I launch iTunes and connect my iPhone 7 via the lightning cable,
it takes about 9 minutes before the icon indicating iPhone connection
appears. I timed it. Until this occurs, iTunes is unusable and seems frozen.

2. I never was able to use iTunes to download the iOS 10.3 upgrade as I've
done for every other prior upgrade. When I attempted this, I'd get a dialog
saying the Apple servers were being contacted and it never did anything. I
refused to wait longer than an hour so can't say I fully tested this.

3. When I go to the iTunes menu Help, Check for Updates, I get another one
of those dialogs indicating that Apple is being contacted and nothing else
happens during the many minutes I've waited. Ultimately, I have to start
task manager to exit iTunes which has stopped responding.

4. When I check the app updates by pressing ctrl + 7 and selecting updates
in order to download backups to my Windows 7 computer as I've always done,
none of the apps I've updated since going on iOS 10.3 show up in those
presented for update download to my computer.

I've re-downloaded the latest iTunes and run the repair option but I'm not
getting any different behavior.

Can someone who has updated to iTunes for Windows 12. 6 try one of the above
items and let me know what you're experiencing? I'm mostly concerned about
item 4 because I really like the ability to back up my apps to my local
computer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alan Lemly

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Jennie Facer
2017-04-05 01:09:43 UTC
Hi,

What I would first do is restart your computer. After running an update to iTunes, it is always a good idea to restart and see if anything was messed up during the update before you plug your phone in. Once it restarts, now try to plug your phone in. What happens here? I had none of these problems at all.

Jenn

Sent from my iPad

Alan Lemly
2017-04-05 04:53:59 UTC
Jenn,

Thanks for your suggestion but I restart my computer every morning and iTunes is still acting hinky. Have you successfully downloaded to your computer apps that you've updated since installing iOS 10.3 and iTunes 12.6?

Alan

M. Taylor
2017-04-05 02:36:12 UTC
Hello Alan,

I am running the latest version of iTunes on two Windows 7 computers, one 32-bit version and 1 64-bit version. I have experienced none of your issues.

I suggest that you:

1.
Reboot your WiFi router/modem and confirm that it is connecting to the internet at acceptable/expected data speeds.

2.
Swap out the lightning cable to insure that you have a solid good connection.

3.
If you are using iTunes on your PC to download podcast, turn this feature off as it can greatly, and I do mean greatly slow down application startup and device connectivity. Years ago, before I discovered this fact, I would sometimes wait up to 45 minutes in order for iTunes to complete its launch. It was a nightmare.

4.
Rather than re-installing iTunes, on top of itself, first, completely remove/uninstall iTunes from your Windows 7 PC.
Doing this will not delete any of your data; however, I always recommend making a backup of your iTunes Library before proceeding with such a step. Next, reboot the computer. Finally, install a fresh copy of iTunes on your PC. To be sure, re-installing iTunes on top of itself is not the same as installing a completely fresh copy. Trust me on this, I’ve had to do it several times, over the years (smile).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mark

Alan Lemly
2017-04-06 01:26:31 UTC
Mark,

Thanks for these recommendations. I did make sure that I'm not syncing my podcasts. I also did a Google search for troubleshooting problems with iTunes and uninstalled all the programs Apple Support said I should uninstall including iTunes, Apple Software Update, Apple Mobile Device Support, Bonjour, Apple Application Support (32-bit), and Apple Application Support (64-bit). I then downloaded iTunes for Windows 64-bit 12.6.1 and installed it fresh. Unfortunately, I'm still getting some strange results although I'm not getting quite as long of a delay before iTunes stops displaying the hourglass and when I connect my iPhone, it displays its icon pretty quickly. However, when I go to Help, Check for Updates from within iTunes, I get a dialog that says contacting Apple and it ran for more than 35 minutes with no result before I gave up and stopped it. And the recent app updates I downloaded to my iPhone 7 are not showing up as updates in iTunes.

Alan Lemly

M. Taylor
2017-04-06 01:57:11 UTC
Thank you for the update, Alan.

Did you reboot your Wifi router and modem?

Okay, as for Help/Check for Updates, that is not how one initiates the app update process but merely checks with Apple to see if there is a later version of iTunes, only.

Do me a favor, reboot your computer and do not open iTunes and do not connect your phone to your PC. Instead, from the start menu open the Apple Check for Updates app and see if it informs you that you have the latest versions of all your installed Apple software.

Also, when you're in iTunes, without the phone being connected, can you connect to the App Store? This is to say, can you search for various apps and have them be displayed on your screen? Also, are you able to rate any apps from your computer?

Alan, it may be a good idea to make certain that you're signed into your Account on your computer and for good measure, select to authorize the computer. Don't worry, if the computer is already authorized, no change will occur to your account.

Once you have done this, from the Account menu, in iTunes, select the Check for Available Downloads. This should clear the cache of any download problems, if any exist.

Finally, from the App Library of iTunes, can you see any of your apps being listed? If so, place focus on them and see if any have an update option.

Alan Lemly
2017-04-06 18:41:50 UTC
Mark,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I did reset my wi-fi router.

I also went into iTunes and signed out of my Apple ID so I could sign back in again and hopefully jar things into working. Now, I get a message saying there was an error connecting to the Apple ID server. I get this when trying to sign into the iTunes Store or to authorize my computer. Is there some other step such as de-authorization that I must do first? I'm really getting frustrated and am running out of ideas.

Alan Lemly

Shaf Patel

Alan Lemly
2017-04-07 04:47:34 UTC
Shaf,

Thanks for the suggestion but Apple Care covers my iPhone 7 but not my Windows 7 computer. If you have a good email address or phone number for someone at Apple who will talk to me, I'll be more than happy to contact them.

Alan

Shaf Patel
2017-04-07 04:55:56 UTC
They can also help you with iTunes. Good luck with resolving the problem.

Alan Lemly
2017-04-07 05:02:22 UTC
Thanks much and I'll give them a call. I'm going to need the luck.

Alan

Sieghard Weitzel
2017-04-07 05:28:30 UTC
You can definitely try them for iTunes issues or even try Apple Accessibility.

Marie
2017-04-07 05:09:35 UTC
I believe you need to contact Apple Accessibility at:
877-204-3930
Marie

Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 5:59 PM
To: VIPhone Email List
[...]