Creating ringtones from songs using iTunes 12 - the complete guide
Sieghard Weitzel
2014-11-24 01:11:36 UTC
Hello Listers,

As promised, here is as complete a guide as I could come up with describing
how you can make ringtones from your songs using iTunes 12. This has
headings, both level 1 and 2 which you can use if you want to get back to a
particular section. After explaining the process and after the "Clean up"
heading is another heading called "More details about adding to library and
syncing" and it goes into more details about how to correctly rename the
file extension and how to sync your tones to your phone.

I did it this way because for more advanced users some of my descriptions
may already contain more details than necessary, but for people who are new
to technology or less experienced with Windows commands it is hopefully
useful.

I also realize that you can add ringtones to your library by copying them
into the "Automatically Add to Library" folder. If you prefer to do this
than that's fine, I personally prefer to put stuff into the folder where it
belongs and add it to the library either by simply playing it or by using
the "Add /File to Library" or "Add Folder to Library" option in the iTunes
File menu.

I wanted to provide a tutorial on how to make ringtones from songs since
several people asked for it and I did the same for iTunes 11. I don't want
to start a debate on how to do it better by using a different program to
create the ringtone, if anybody feels they know of a better way than all I
can say is go ahead and create your own tutorial and this way people can
choose which method they want to use.

Creating ringtones from songs using iTunes 12

Note: These instructions are based on doing this on a Windows 7 laptop with
Jaws 16. Most of this should work fine with other screenreaders except of
course for Jaws specific commands like "route Jaws cursor to PC cursor" and
"left mouse click with Jaws". You would simply have to know or find out
which are equivalent commands in Window Eyes, NVDA or whatever other
screenreader you might use.

Basic steps

1. Find the song you want

2. Press Control+I for "Get Info", tab to the options button, tab to start
and end time and set end time to no more than 40 seconds.

3. Right click on your song and select "Create AAC Version"

4. Press Control+C on the newly created 40 second version of the song to
copy it to the clipboard, open your iTunes Media\Tones folder and use
Control+V to paste the song into the folder.

5. Go to the Tools menu of your Windows Explorer window, go to Folder
Options and the View tab, make sure "Hide extensions for known file types"

is Off.

6. Rename the .M4A extension to M4R.

7. Press enter on the newly renamed file to play it in iTunes, this
automatically adds it to your Tones library.

8. Connect your phone, make sure Sync All Tones is selected or if you sync
selected tones, make sure your new ringtone is checked, then sync your
phone.

detailed instructions

1. Find the song you want to make into a ringtone in your Music library in
iTunes.

2. Right click, use the application menu key or Shift+F10 and select "Get
Info". You can also use The shortcut key which is Control+I.

3. Tab to the "Options" button (should be 8 tabs) and activate it by
pressing the spacebar or enter.

Note that nothing obvious happens, but visually the "Options" content now is
on the screen and you have to tab to it. Unfortunately the cursor seems to
about 15 times, you can use F6 about six or seven times to get to where you
enter the start and stop time for the ringtone.

Changing Start and Stop time

4. The first item you get to will just say "Start read only", then if you
tab once there is a checkbox which is read as "0 checkbox not checked" and
if you tab again you will be on the actual field where you can type in a
start time and which by default is always read as "0 o'clock read only".

The only way to get into the edit field for start and stop time that works
for me is as follows:

1. Route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor by pressing Jaws Key+NumPad
Minus.

2. Do a left click with Jaws Key+NumPad Slash.

3. Jaws will say "button edit" and you can now delete the 0 and type
in the start time you want.

It is not necessary to first check the start time checkbox, if you change
the value it will get checked automatically.

usually you start at the beginning of the song, i.e. 0:00, but if the song
starts very slow you may want to find a good spot a few seconds from the
beginning where you start the ringtone.

If you do change the start time, make sure you don't press enter after
typing in your time because this will take you all the way back to the
beginning and you have to tap about 16 times or press F6 a bunch of times to
get back to the stop time. Instead just press tab from the edit field to go
to "Stop".

5. Here again you first have the "Stop read only" label, than the "0
checkbox not checked" and lastly the field where you can edit the stop time.
By default the stop time is the total length of the song.

As with start time, , route Jaws cursor to PC cursor, then left click. You
are now in the edit field and the cursor is at the end of the time, you can
left arrow across it or simply delete it all and type in your stop time.

Make sure that the stop time doesn't exceed the start time by more than 40
seconds which is the maximum length of a ringtone.

6. After you enter your stop time you want to press the OK button so you can
play the song and listen to how your segment sounds. Instead of tabbing
about 12 times to get to the OK button, you can now just press Enter and if
you press Enter a second time it will take you back to your song listing and
if you press enter a third time the song will play.

Only the part of the song you selected will play and you can see if it
sounds good the way it is.

If it stops in the middle of a note or word you can make it a few seconds
shorter to find a better place.

I usually set the stop time to 39 or 40 seconds and then make it shorter to
make it sound good.

A Note on the start and stop time format

The start time is displayed as 0:00 where the first 0 means 0 minutes, then
a ":" and then the 00 after that is for the seconds.

The stop time by default has the ending time of the song, for example

3:23.46 where the first 3 is the number of minutes, then the ":", then the
next 2 digits are the seconds and then a "." and the last number or numbers
is I guess maybe in one tenth of a second or even one hundreds, not quite
sure, but it's a very small increment.

Creating the AAC version of your selection

7. Bring up the context menu with a right click, press the application menu
key or Shift+F10 and select "Creat AAC Version".

Almost immediately you will hear that tri-tone iTunes makes when it's
finished doing something.

This will create an AAC version of the song for only the section of the song
you specified.

This new short song will appear right underneath the original song in your
list of songs, so you just have to down arrow once to find it.

You can press enter to play it one last time and to make sure it is as you
want it.

Note:

If you don't see a "Create AAC Version option when you right click on the
song, go to "Edit" and "Preferences" or use the shortcut which is
Control+Comma.

On the General tab click on Import settings, the shortcut is Alt+O.

Verify that the AAC encoder settings are selected, if MP3 is selected as the
encoder you have to change it to AAC.

Also make sure you select iTunes Plus" for the quality setting so you get a
good quality ringtone.

Copying, renaming, adding to library and syncing

8. Select the newly created short AAC version of the song in iTunes and
press CTRL+C for "copy". Open your iTunes folder (most likely in "My Music",
go to the "iTunes Media" folder and the "Tones" or "Ringtones" folder. Press
Control+V to paste the song into the Ringtones folder.

9. Right click on the file and select rename or press the shortcut which is
F2. Change the extention for the file which will be .M4A to .M4R. Confirm
that you want to rename the file.

Note:

If you press F2 and don't see the extention, go to "Tools" and "Folder
Option". On the "View Tab" turn off "Hide Extentions for known file types".

You can turn it back on after you are done creating your ringtones.

10. After you have renamed the song with the .M4R extention, press Enter on
the song which will start playing your new ringtones in iTunes. This step is
important because by playing it, the tone will automatically be added to
your Tones library.

11. Sync your iPhone with iTunes and your new ringtone will be available.

Note:

If you have "Sync selected ringtones" turned on, you first have to go to
your phone under Devices, tab to the Tones tab, check it and then check the
ringtone you created in the list of ringtones before it will sync to your
phone.

Clean-Up

1. When you are done you can delete the short version of the song you
created from your iTunes library.

and press delete, when prompted select "Move to recycle bin".

This is OK because you already moved the ringtone to the Ringtones folder
and no longer need this copy of it.

2. Remember to uncheck the start and stop time checkboxes for the original
song otherwise only the selected part of the song will play.

Use Control+I for Get Info, tab to the Options button and activate it. Now
use F6 until you get to Start, tab once and uncheck the checkbox. Tab to the
Stop checkbox and uncheck it as well.

Tab to OK and press the spacebar.

More details about adding to library and syncing

Assumption and the Tones folder

When you installed iTunes the default location where iTunes data is kept is
your Music folder. If you use Windows 7 and your user name is "MyName", this
would be at c:\users\MyName\music.

Here you would have an iTunes folder and in that iTunes folder is a
subfolder called "iTunes Media".

Inside iTunes Media are subfolders for the various media types. These
folders (you may not have all of them) would be things like Audio Books,
Automatically Add to iTunes, Books, Downloads, Home Videos, Mobile
Applications, Movies, Music, Podcasts, Tones and TV Shows.

If you have never purchased a movie or TV show, chances are you may not have
these folders.

If you don't have a Tones folder, you can create one just using standard
Windows commands, then put your ringtones into that folder. Don't worry
about any of the default ringtones Apple provides, they are part of iOS and
won't appear anywhere.

Ringtone format

For ringtones to work on an iPhone, they must be in Apple's AAC format and
have an extension of m4r.

You can rename any AAC file (MPEG-4 Audio File) of 40 seconds or less to
have the m4R extension.

If you have to change the extension, do the following:

1. In your Tones folder, press "Alt+T" for the Tools menu.

2. Up arrow once to select "Folder Options" which is at the very
bottom of that menu hence you can up arrow to wrap around to the end and get
to it right away.

You could also just press Alt+T followed by "o".

3. Press Control+Tab to go to the "View tab" of the multi-tab
dialogue which opens.

4. Your screenreader should say something like "Treeview, Files
and Folders, 18 items".

5. Arrow down until you get to an items which says "Hide
extensions for known file types, on" and press the spacebar to change it to
"off".

6. Tab to "OK" and activate it with spacebar or enter.

If you now check any tones you have in your folder you will hear the name
followed by .m4r and if you have any that are still m4a, use the F2 (Rename)
command and just change the "a" to an "r". You will see the following
warning when you change a file extension, in this case go ahead and select
"Yes":

Rename

If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable.

Are you sure you want to change it?

Yes No

Also remember that you can't just rename an MP3 file/ringtone by changing
the .mp3 extension to .m4r, this will not work since it's a completely
different format and

you would have to first convert the MP3 ringtone to the AAC format and then
rename it.

I also suggest you go back into Tools, Folder Options and set Hide
extensions for known file types back to On in order to avoid accidently
changing the extension of a file.

Adding Tones to your Tones library in iTunes

Now that your tones are in the Tones folder, you still have to add them to
your iTunes library. You can do this in a couple of different ways. My 2
favorite methods are this:

1. If you only have a few tones, you can just press enter on each
one. This will open iTunes if it's not already open and start the tone
playing. You can stop it by pressing the spacebar, Alt+Tab back to your
Tones folder and repeat until you have played all the tones you want to add.
Each time as the tone plays it is added to the Tones library (shortcut key
in iTunes to get to that is Control+8).

2. If you have a lot of tones, just close your Tones folder and
open iTunes. Go to the Tones library with Control+8. Now press Alt+F to get
to the File menu and select the "Add Folder to Library".

A standard Windows Open dialogue appears, browse to your Tones folder, then
tab to "Select" and activate it by pressing enter or spacebar. This will add
all tones in your Tones folder to the tones library.

You can use F6 or tab to find the list view of Tones and arrow down through
the list to see if they are all there, pressing enter on any of them will
start playing it. Your Tones are now ready to be synced to your phone.

Syncing Tones to your iPhone

1. Connect your iPhone to the computer and open iTunes. Find your
device (easiest is to use Control+F to go to the search box, then tab a few
times, it should be right after the "More" radio button).

2. Tab or use F6 until you get to the treeview which starts with
"Summary". F6 probably gets you there if you press it 3 or so times.

3. Arrow down to "Tones", typing "T O" should get you there right
away.

4. Tab past all the read only stuff until you get to "Sync Tones"
and make sure the checkbox is checked.

5. Tab a couple more times, you will have 2 controls/options:
"Sync all tones" and one tab more "Sync selected tones". Check the one you
want.

If you check to sync all tones then you can just tab to the "Apply" button
or go to the file menu, arrow to Devices (use v for the shortcut) and then
select to sync.

If you check to sync selected tones you have to tab into the list view of
all your tones, arrow down through them and check the ones you want, then go
to Apply or sync.
--
The following information is important for all members of the viphone list. All new members to the this list are moderated by default. If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. The archives for this list can be searched at http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/.
---
Neal Ewers
2014-11-24 01:39:39 UTC
Sieghard. Very nicely done. What I am about to say is not a correction to anything you have said, but I want to clarify one point which I got tripped up on yesterday.

You say,

“Connect your phone, make sure Sync All Tones is selected or if you sync selected tones, make sure your new ringtone is checked, then sync your phone.”

I offer my yesterday’s experience to make a point.

I had one ring tone to add to the list of tones that were already on my phone. So, I checked selected ring tones. Since I was only moving one tone, that was the only tone I checked. Now, I should have realized what would happen., and it certainly did. When I synced my phone, the ring tone I checked was the only one left on the phone. It took all the others off. So, when people do this, they need to remember to check all the tones they want to be synced.

Again, Thanks for this write up. You should put it up on AppleVis and in other places where people can learn from it.

Neal

[...]

Note that nothing obvious happens, but visually the "Options" content now is on the screen and you have to tab to it. Unfortunately the cursor seems to go back to the beginning of this entire screen, but instead of using tab about 15 times, you can use F6 about six or seven times to get to where you enter the start and stop time for the ringtone.

Sieghard Weitzel
2014-11-24 02:16:45 UTC
Hi neal,

I am surprised that has happened because if you previously synced tones with the same iTunes library the ones which were synced before should have been checked. If I go to my list of tones and arrow through them a bunch of them are checked and others which I currently don’t have on my device are not. This is the same behavior as with music or other media. Is it possible you synced tones to your phone with a different library? In that case what you described makes sense.

Regards,

Sieghard

Neal Ewers
2014-11-24 04:06:15 UTC
Sieghard. No, I was dumber than that. I, thinking that I only wanted to move one ring tone unchecked the ones that were checked. So, opperator error of the first order.

rafal

Sieghard Weitzel
2014-11-24 17:29:10 UTC
I don’t think much of anything about it since I have not used it. I have used a couple of apps like Ringtone Architect or Ringtone Wizard and they all work, I know you can use Goldwave or other audio editors to make a 40 second segment of a song and then convert it with a multitude of programs to m4A/m4r, but the point for me is that I like to use iTunes simply because it’s on my computer anyways and no matter which program or app I use to make my ringtone, I’ll need iTunes to transfer the tones I make to my phone. Therefore I just use iTunes all the way and there is no need for me to install another application on my computer or to use an app on my phone where I then have to email myself the ringtone, use iTunes file sharing to grab it or save it to Dropbox. There are many ways to skin a cat, nasty little creatures they are *smile*, and there are many ways to make a ringtone. But there is only one way to get that ringtone to your phone and that is with iTunes and as far as I am concerned it works as good as anything to make the ringtone. Only thing I can’t do with iTunes is fade the last 4 or 5 seconds of my 40 second ringtone, but I can usually find a segment which when it ends abruptly still sounds OK and in any case, I rarely hear the end of my ringtone since if I don’t pick up before the call usually goes to voice mail well before the ringtone runs out.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sharonda Greenlaw
2014-12-04 19:21:34 UTC
Earlier today, I put a question to the list about making ringtones
with iTunes 12. Then, I saw this conversation, which doesn't change
anything from the way it was done in iTunes 11. I guess I should
clarify my question...

When I do the ctrl+I to go to Get info; then I press the spacebar on
the Options button, the start and stop places are read-only. Whether I
check or uncheck the box, I am unable to put the amount of time that I
need to in order to create my tone.

All help would truly be appreciated in this matter. I am truly stumped.

Sharonda
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 12:15 AM
[...]
President (Phoenix Chapter)
National Federation of the Blind
-------------
Skype: sharonda2004
Twitter: shari_rocks
Facebook: facebook.com/TheSharondaWhiteGreenlaw
Sharonda Greenlaw
2014-12-04 19:28:10 UTC
Scratch my question. In reading through Sieghard's detailed
instructions, I found the answer. Thanks, list, for being
invaluable!!!

Sharonda
Post by Sharonda Greenlaw
[...]
Behalf
Of rafal
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 12:15 AM
[...]
"VIPhone" group.
---
"VIPhone" group.
---
"VIPhone" group.
Christopher J Chaltain
2015-04-19 01:57:53 UTC
Hey Sieghard, I just wanted to say thanks for writing up this tutorial
and sending it to the list. I've been working more with the music on my
phone lately, and creating some ring tones from my music was one of the
things I wanted to do. Your tutorial was just the ticket, and the
archive of this list is a great resource.
Post by Sieghard Weitzel
[...]
created and press delete, when prompted select "Move to recycle bin".
Christopher (CJ)
Chaltain at Gmail
Sieghard Weitzel
2015-04-20 03:43:38 UTC
Thanks, I actually haven’t tried this since the iTunes update last week and while I downloaded it, I haven’t actually installed it yet. I saw something from Jonathan I think on Twitter that some of the fields like artist name, song title and so on are more easily editable again, but haven’t checked it out yet.