Article: 9 reasons you should buy an iPhone 8 instead of an iPhone X
Gary Bowers
2017-09-23 23:22:20 UTC
9 reasons you should buy an iPhone 8 instead of an iPhone X
From:
businessinsider.com
Dave Smith
iPhone 8 and 8 plusHollis Johnson/Business Insider
Apple announced three new iPhones this month: the iPhone 8, the iPhone 8
Plus, and the high-end iPhone X.
Those three phones start at $699, $799, and $999, respectively.
Based on the relatively diminutive launch-day lines for the iPhone 8, it
seems likely that most people are waiting for the release of Apple's
high-end iPhone X, which debuts November 3.
That said, there are several reasons it's worth considering an iPhone 8
instead of holding out for the iPhone X:

1. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are powered by the same brains as the iPhone X.
This is probably the most important reason to consider the iPhone 8 and 8
Plus over the iPhone X: Functionally, they're all identical.
All of these phones are powered by Apple's new A11 Bionic chip, a neural
engine, and the M11 motion coprocessor. The only difference is how the
phones use these features: The iPhone X uses the A11 chip and neural engine
for its new face-detection system Face ID, which the iPhone 8 does not have.
2. Touch ID is a proven entity. Face ID is not.
Ever since the release of iPhone 5S in 2013, Touch ID has changed the way we
use our phones — from unlocking the device, to storing passwords, to using
our fingerprints to pay for goods via Apple Pay.
Touch ID is a known, proven entity. Face ID, which will replace Touch ID on
the iPhone X, is less known.
Apple makes some bold statements about Face ID. The company claims it's less
prone to being tricked than Touch ID. They claim it can also work in the
dark, or recognize changes to your face — like if you grow a beard, or wear
glasses, or change your hair, or put on a kooky outfit. But we still don't
know how Face ID will actually work in the wild when millions of people are
using it. Simply put, technology is not infallible, and it's impossible to
predict what could go wrong with this unlocking method. (Thankfully, the
passcode backup still exists.)
By choosing an iPhone 8, however, you choose to forgo the guinea-pig era for
Face ID.
3. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus support fast charging and wireless charging for
the first time — just like the iPhone X.
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
All of these phones support the Qi wireless charging standard as well
as fast-charging.
The downside is, you'll have to buy extra accessories if you choose either
new charging method. Apple offers several different Qi wireless charging
pads you can buy (its own AirPower solution won't be out until 2018,
unfortunately), and you'll need to buy anywhere from $25 to $75 worth of
equipment — a Lightning-to-USB-C cable and a USB-C Power Delivery-compatible
charger, specifically — if you want to use fast-charging for your iPhone 8,
8 Plus, or iPhone X.
Again, this is one more expense to consider when thinking about the iPhone 8
versus the $1,000-to-start iPhone X.
4. The iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X have nearly-identical rear cameras.
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
If you care at all about photography, the rear cameras on the iPhone 8 Plus
and iPhone X are nearly identical. The iPhone 8 is also a great shooter, but
the larger 8 Plus adds a second telephoto lens so you can zoom in without
losing image quality.
The only difference between the rear cameras on the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone
X is that the iPhone X has optical-image stabilization for both the
wide-angle and telephoto lenses, for sharper images, especially in low-light
settings; the iPhone 8 Plus only has OIS for the wide-angle lens, like the
iPhone 7 Plus before it.
5. The front-facing cameras on the iPhone 8 and iPhone X are also identical
— save for a few extra features.
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
On paper, the FaceTime HD cameras of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are
functionally identical to the front-facing camera inside the iPhone X's
TrueDepth camera system. All of these phones take 7-megapixel photos, have a
ƒ/2.2 aperture, and film video in 1080p.
The only difference is the iPhone X got a few "exclusive" software camera
features: Portrait Mode on the front-facing camera (in addition to the
back); Portrait Lighting, which lets you remove backgrounds in your selfies
for a dramatic effect; and Animoji, where you can send animated emoji to
your friends that mimic your facial expressions and even speak using your
voice.
6. The iPhone 8 doesn't have that hideous "notch" at the top of the phone.
The TrueDepth camera system on the iPhone X is the lone interruption on that
phone's edge-to-edge display. The "notch," as many are calling it, is pretty
hideous, unfortunately.
Thankfully, there's no notch on the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus.
7. The iPhone X is more expensive than the iPhone 8.
The iPhone 8 starts at $700, while the larger iPhone 8 Plus starts at $800.
The iPhone X, on the other hand, starts at $1,000.
It's simple math: You can save at least $200 by going with an iPhone 8,
which, keep in mind, is still a brand-new phone from Apple.
8. If you're upgrading from an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, your old cases
will fit.
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus have near-identical dimensions to their
predecessors, the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, respectively. The new phones are
slightly heavier, and there are slight differences in the new phones'
height, length and depth, but all of the differences are less than a
millimeter each, which means your old iPhone 7 cases will still fit.
The iPhone X has completely different dimensions from past iPhones, so your
old cases won't work with this phone — one more expense to consider when
buying this already-expensive phone.
9. You'll actually be able to find it.
A customer being handed over her new iPhone 8. She said she didn't need the
iPhone X.Edoardo Maggio/Business Insider
Since everyone is so focused on the iPhone X, the iPhone 8 is actually easy
to find and buy — even today! Meanwhile, iPhone X will likely be in high
demand and short supply, meaning lots of people will probably be waiting
weeks and months for their phones to arrive while you're sitting pretty with
your iPhone 8, which has arguably all of the biggest advantages of the
iPhone X, with a more reasonable price

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Arnold Schmidt
2017-09-24 04:06:26 UTC
I had planned to buy the 8, but I am going to skip it, and keep my IPhone 6, which still works fine and, if I keep it that long will upgrade again at least once, maybe twice. My first reason is that the 8 uses an LCD display, while the 10 uses an LED display. LED is the future, LCD, nearing the past. Probably in a model or two, the LED display will make it down to the cheaper models, and will be cheaper than now. Remember when HD televisions were thousands of dollars? My second reason, the carriers no longer subsidize these phones, as they did when I bought my first two iPhones. If I had bought the 8, I would have kept it until it wouldn't upgrade any more, maybe a year longer. But I would be paying full price for a phone with an obsolete display. Thanks, but no thanks.

Arnold Schmidt

Sent from Arnold's iPhone

From:

Mary Otten
2017-09-24 04:25:27 UTC
Hi Arnold,
Are you totally blind? If so, or if you're not, but really don't have usable vision, of what possible interest could the type of display be to you? You can obviously do what you want, since it is your phone and your money. But I can't imagine, as a blind person, making my decision regarding a purchase based on something that has absolutely no importance to me. Had I an iPhone 6, I would most certainly purchase the eight for the following reason: we don't know if the iPhone eight or 8+ will be the last one with touch ID. However this whole face ID thing turns out, and I suspect it will be basically accessible, the fact remains that in order to get full use out of it, you must be able to look at your phone. Can you do that? If not, you are less secure than your sightedcounterpart, and you also don't benefit from the full face ID experience. That is, you can't just look at the phone and see stuff happen. So, rather than be concerned about something that makes no difference to me as a blind person, I am more interested in stuff that does concern me as a blind person, that is full access into the future without worrying about the limitations of somewhat crippled face ID. Just my two cents.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Sadam Ahmed
2017-09-24 09:58:14 UTC
Mary makes some excellent points.

If I was upgrading from the 6 I'd consider factors like CPU speed, and
weather I wanted the tested method of Touch Id, or jump right in to Face
ID.

The display would be one of the last things I'd consider.

Just to give some context I'm totally blind with very to no little
usable vision so  my use case will differ.

Just my thoughts.

Of course it is your decision in the end but if it was me I'd exercise
some caution.
Post by Arnold Schmidt
[...]

JAWS certified, 2017

Mobile:

+ 61 435 892 944

FaceTime, iMessage & email

***@sadamahmed.com

Sieghard Weitzel
2017-09-24 19:15:18 UTC
One thing why somebody (if they can afford it) may choose the iPhone X is because they want a smaller phone but the best possible battery life. An OLED screen uses much less power and Apple says the iPhone X gets 2 hours more battery life than even an iPhone 8 Plus. Looking at the individual specs like talk time, video playback, audio playback and all that people say it's not clear how Apple came up with that 2 hours, but the fact is that it does have significant better battery life than an iPhone 8 and for many blind users that is a concern.

Arnold Schmidt
2017-09-24 10:33:53 UTC
I have no useable vision, so my wanting to wait until the LED display comes to the cheaper models has nothing to do with that. But an LED display is much more efficient dan an LCD. The crystals in a liquid crystal display are always on, when the screen is active, even if they aren't being used at the moment. That is why if you have your screen set not to lock and you forget to lock it, it will drain your battery over time. The light emiting diodes in an LED displan are active only when they are being used. That is why the high-end android phones that use these displays can, allegedly, go for days on a battery charge. And, for those who can see it, the LED display is much better. So, when it comes time for me to sell my LED display phone, it might bring more money than my obsolete LCD phone.

As for the facial recognition thing, it may very well be all right now, and if not, I'll bet they will work out some kind of way to make it all right for the totally blind within a model, or two. Remember when the first iPhone came out? It was going to be the end for the blind. We'd better keep those phones with buttons running as long as we could, because the blind just weren't ever going to be able to deal with those touch screens. Really?

Arnold Schmidt

Sent from Arnold's iPhone

Mary Otten

Arnold Schmidt
2017-09-24 15:49:27 UTC
I definitely won't be buying the 10. I will keep this one for another model or two, unless I find a 256 gig iPhone 7 at a good price between now and then. If I am going to have to be paying almost 900 dollars for the 256 gig iPhone 8, I will wait until the modern display makes it to the cheaper models.

Arnold Schmidt

Sent from Arnold's iPhone

Christopher Chaltain
2017-09-24 15:53:34 UTC
Note, we're talking about an OLED display here and not an LED display.

I can see where a blind person would be interested in a phone with an
OLED display. The lower power consumption may mean a longer battery life
or maybe a smaller phone, and I can see where a blind person would
appreciate these two characteristics. The iPhone X has the same size
display as the iPhone 8 Plus but in basically the same size as the
iPhone 8. From what I've read, it has a longer battery life as well. Not
every blind person appreciates a larger display, but I know many blind
people who like the larger displays.

I'm not saying a blind person should get the iPhone X or pay the extra
money to get an OLED display, but I can see where this may interest some
blind people, and I'm not going to tell another blind person what is and
isn't important to them in a smart phone.
Post by Arnold Schmidt
[...]
Christopher (CJ)
Chaltain at Gmail

Arnold Schmidt
2017-09-24 16:16:33 UTC
Thanks for the clarification about its being an OLED display. I looked it up, and although I can't begin to explain all the technicalities, it sounds even better, and worth waiting for it to come to the cheaper models.

Arnold Schmidt

Sent from Arnold's iPhone

Sieghard Weitzel
2017-09-24 19:45:00 UTC
Exactly, when Apple puts OLED screens on all their phones imagine how large a phone with a 4.7 inch screen like the 6S, 7 or 8 will be, it will most likely be the same or smaller than the old 5S or the iPhone SE but with the same size screen and better battery life.

Post by Arnold Schmidt
[...]
Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor. Mark can be reached
---