need some suggestions for some good cooking apps
Jed Barton
2017-04-28 02:38:58 UTC
Hey guys,

Well, i'm going to be starting to venture out more in the kitchen and
doing more cooking. Quite frankly it's long over-due. Any suggestiong
on any apps i can use, or any good sites for blind friendly recipes and
all that?

Cheers,
Jed

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Richard Turner
2017-04-28 03:19:20 UTC
I don't know what blind friendly recipes would be.
The key is learning how to measure and cook.

Food.com has a great app with thousands and thousands of recipes.
Blind Mice Mega Mall sells cook books and has a podcast by a blind cook, I think, though I've never listened to it.
I am totally blind, and have cooked since I went blind at age 12.
Richard

Noun: trumpery
1. (informal) statements or beliefs that are untrue or make no sense
2. Ornamental objects of no great value
This definition is from WordWeb

(Sent from the iPod Touch 6?

Sieghard Weitzel
2017-04-28 05:52:25 UTC
Another very good app is Paprika, it allows you to browse recipes from inside the app and then to save any you find interesting to the app. The app automatically puts ingredients and directions and all that in the correct format and supports dozens of popular recipe sites. You can also scale recipes, e.g. if a recipe is for 4-6 people and you want to make only half of that you can scale it to 0.5 and all measurements are adjusted accordingly.
Other than that I agree that Food.com is a good website, AllRecipes.com is also good and if you like vegetarian I like www.CookieandKate.com.
As for the art of cooking itself I would disagree a bit with your statement, Richard, about being able to measure and cook. I guess if by "learing to cook" you mean to master basics like how to prepare certain foods, how to saute, thicken a sauce and many more things then I agree, but it's learing how to do many of these things which make the difference between somebody who can follow a basic recipe and somebody who is a good cook who can also improvise and still get a good result. Of course it also depends on how many finished and prepared ingredients you want to use, e.g. do you buy Coleslaw and prepared dressing or a Caesar salad mix in a bag with Caesar salad dressing or do you buy cabbage, carots, apples, sellery and all the things you need for the dressing to make your own coleslaw and do you buy romane lettuce, crutons and then make your own bacon bits and you make your own Caesar dressing which requires all sorts of ingredients including anchovi paste, fresh parmesan cheese etc. Let's not even get into making actual authentic indian curries which can require literally a dozen different spices.
I have cooked for a long time, my Mom has a degree in home economics and learned back in Germany in the 50's where she had to do a 4-year aprenticeship with schooling in between and two separate exams before she had her masters degree, and I learned a lot from her, but still I only consider myself a fair cook. I love all kinds of food, but am particularly fond of very hot indian or thai curries and I sometimes wish I could cook better. Also, apart from learning the required skills you do have to invest a bit of money in some equipment and just as with many things or hobbies you can spend a lot if you want to buy really good knives, pots and pans etc.

Regards,
Sieghard

Donna
2017-04-28 10:34:29 UTC
Hi
Yes Chef is a good hands free recipe app. Here is the link.
Yes Chef - Hands Free Recipe Assistant by Conversant Labs
https://appsto.re/us/MiMibb.i

Donna

Richard Turner
2017-04-28 13:39:06 UTC
I was primarily responding to the "blind friendly" recipes piece.
If by Blind Friendly, the idea was simple, like the 5 ingredients cookbook, then maybe that is the way to go, but without knowing the basics and how to measure, then it is going to be difficult and blindness has nothing to do with it.

Richard

Tom Lange
2017-04-28 15:56:37 UTC
Hi,
In addition to food.com, there's an app called Big Oven which boasts 350,000 recipes of all sorts. Allrecipes may have an app as well.
Tom

Sent from my iPhone 7

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND
2017-04-28 16:03:25 UTC
Yes, Allrecipes does have an app.

'Sandratomkins' via VIPhone
2017-04-28 17:13:54 UTC
hi,
There is also a food.com app which I like very much!
Sandy

sent from the dark side of the moon

'RobH.' via VIPhone
2017-04-28 07:48:07 UTC
I think the household tips list might be more use, for learning about blind-friendly methods, rather than dedicated hardware they
sometimes produce. I know several good blind cooks already, and none of them do it with Apps, believe me. Knowing, and having
confidence in, their kit and ability, are key here.

Best wishes with it, BobH.

Well, i'm going to be starting to venture out more in the kitchen and
doing more cooking. Quite frankly it's long over-due. Any suggestiong
on any apps i can use, or any good sites for blind friendly recipes and
all that?

Cheers,
Jed

If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please
contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

Sarai Bucciarelli
2017-04-28 13:19:37 UTC
How do you subscribe?

'Sandratomkins' via VIPhone
2017-04-28 10:33:44 UTC
hi Jed,
We have a group going, and email list, not too busy, but we would be very happy to have you on board. below is a link to subscribe and a general description of the aims of the list.

hope to see you there! Sandy
vipsinthekitchen+***@groups.io
vipsinthekitchen is an email group aimed at visually impaired cooks or want to be cooks. we want to exchange experience/advice/discoveries useful to us in the kitchen. discussions on all cuisines/techniques/technologies and recipes, plus recommendations for Podcasts and home-made recordings will all be welcome!