Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV
Sieghard Weitzel
2017-11-21 03:53:48 UTC
Hi,

Has Amazon released the Amazon Prime Video app for the Apple TV in the US? Just signed up for the 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, but when I checked the App Store on my 4th generation Apple TV it did not find it.

Best regards,
Sieghard

http://www.mail-archive.com/***@googlegroups.com/
---
Mary Otten

Sieghard Weitzel

Mary Otten
2017-11-21 05:11:28 UTC
The fire TV stick is quite accessible. It comes with voice view. Of course not all the apps may be accessible, just like the Apple TV. But there are many that are. And the basic interface certainly is.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Cristóbal
2017-11-21 05:42:45 UTC
My wife’s got one, but I haven’t really played with it. I think the female voice it uses is Sally from Ivona.

Anyone know if Kodi and any of the various extensions are at all accessible?

Juliette Swiler
2017-11-21 17:14:08 UTC
I have too much iTunes content to switch. And you can’t view that content on any other device. I don’t think any of these devices could be considered 100% accessible.

Juliette

Sieghard Weitzel
2017-11-21 17:20:28 UTC
I would say the Apple TV is 100% accessible. Just because all apps are not accessible does not mean the device isn’t. If you go by accessibility of apps you would also have to say the iPhone is not 100% accessible.
Anyhow, I guess it comes down to interpretation and semantics.

Rick Alfaro
2017-11-21 16:50:03 UTC
Hi.

The fire TV is actually quite accessible. It uses VoiceView as its screen reader also found on their tablets. I have both the fire TV and apple TV 4th gen and still prefer the apple TV but the Fire TV is actually quite good as well, especially if you have Prime Video.

Sieghard Weitzel
2017-11-21 17:01:54 UTC
Well, it’s definitely a good thing that so many popular off-the-shelf devices are now accessible, competition is always good for innovation, but let’s not forget that ultimately we do have Apple to thank for that.
I just checked on Amazon.ca and was surprised that they are selling the Fire TV stick here in Canada for $39.99, Amazon certainly hasn’t been all that good about making their products and services available in other countries. I will just wait until the Apple TV will get the Amazon Prime Video app, given all the announcements going back quite a long time I really can’t see how that will be too much longer. I just don’t feel like continueing to buy all these gadegets which basically do the same thing just maybe in a different way unless it’s absolutely necessary. Sames goes for the Chromcast devices, they are inexpensive and seem to work well and the approach that you start something from an app on the phone and then the Chromcast takes over is I think quite innovative and nice, but as I said, it’s just another device which I need to find a port for and my 9-year old Sony 40 inch LCD TV only has 2 HDMI inputs which we use for our Apple TV and for my wife’s TFC set top box (that’s “The Filipino Channel”). As far as I can tell that’s simply an Android box customized for their purposes, but if we wanted to add anything else we also would have to buy a good HDMI splitter and on and on.

Regards,
Sieghard

Mary Otten
2017-11-21 17:01:58 UTC
Hi Rick,
I’m curious why you prefer your AppleTV fourth-generation over the fire TV stick. I to have both of those, and these days, I think I actually prefer the fire stick. Of course I don’t take a vantage of the music sending etc. that I could do with my AppleTV, so perhaps that’s why. Nothing against the Apple TV. But if I hadn’t already purchased one, I don’t think I would get one now, because it seems like the fire stick does everything I wanted to do, and it was a lot cheaper.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Sieghard Weitzel
2017-11-21 17:24:31 UTC
Rick can give his reasons, but mine would probably be that I enjoy using SIRI for asking to find a particular movie or something on Youtube, there are a lot of accessible apps and while I don’t know the Fire TV, Im not sure if it has apps like the ‘Apple TV for playing content say from CBC News, Engaged, The Verge and many other tech sites/sources, how accessible is Netflix on it (a very good experience on the Apple TV), same goes for Youtube and then of course there is the fact that with my Apple TV I can access photos and videos I have on my computer and I can Airplay to it.

Mary Otten
2017-11-21 17:48:15 UTC
You can do a lot with Alexa with respect to searching for movies etc. Also, Netflix is outstandingly accessible. It had an issue, but it was quickly fixed, actually faster than a similar issue when Apple had it with the sign in process. Anyway, I think the accessibility for apps is fairly comparable, at least for those I use. And there are definitely lots of things out there that I don’t use, so I can’t comment on all that.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

Rick Alfaro
2017-11-21 21:05:12 UTC
Hi Mary.

I prefer the Apple TV for a couple of reasons. One is what you said, AirPlay since I have so many Apple devices here. The other is that I prefer the way Audio Description is implemented via their Movies app. If I rent a movie, my preference for AD is remembered and I don’t have to specifically choose AD under languages. That hasn’t been my experience on the Fire TV.

Kim Crawford
2017-11-21 22:15:14 UTC
I know you can airplay Amazon prime to your Apple TV even if you have an older generation Apple TV that doesn’t support apps so you can still do that even if there’s no apps for Amazon prime yet

Sent from my iPhone

lenron brown
2017-11-21 22:28:43 UTC
I am really considering trying the fire tv stick. How would I go about
enabling voice view? I have the apple tv 4th gen, but I am thinking
about giving it back to it's original owner and trying something new.
I had a few issues with it not long ago that annoyed me a bit. Signing
in to my Youtube use to be broken, I had to get someone sighted to log
me in. I have no brand loyalty, I like to switch it up and use what
fits me better at the time. It would have been nice if aAmazon and
apple played nice a while ago to bring us the amazon video app on the
apple tv.
Post by Rick Alfaro
Hi Mary.
I prefer the Apple TV for a couple of reasons. One is what you said,
AirPlay since I have so many Apple devices here. The other is that I
prefer the way Audio Description is implemented via their Movies app. If I
rent a movie, my preference for AD is remembered and I don’t have to
specifically choose AD under languages. That hasn’t been my experience on
the Fire TV.
I thought the Fire TV was not accessible or has Amazon changed that?
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 8:04 PM
[...]
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

Mary Otten
2017-11-21 23:36:29 UTC
You know, this isn’t going to be very helpful, I think you hold the back button after the Fire TV is connected. There is an exact explanation on the Amazon website. I think if you Google voice view FireTV you’re going to find it. It’s very simple. It’s just that I did it several months ago, so I don’t remember.They describe the remote layout and with the different keys do you etc. And they tell you about voicemail. Very straightforward stuff.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone
Post by Rick Alfaro
Hi Mary.
I prefer the Apple TV for a couple of reasons. One is what you said,
AirPlay since I have so many Apple devices here. The other is that I
prefer the way Audio Description is implemented via their Movies app. If I
rent a movie, my preference for AD is remembered and I don’t have to
specifically choose AD under languages. That hasn’t been my experience on
the Fire TV.
Of Mary Otten

Mary Otten
2017-11-21 23:31:16 UTC
Interesting. I think my only experience with A.D. on the fire stick has been with Amazon prime series Harry Bosch. I haven’t listen to that much audio description on either one, but it did seem to me, and this could be strictly based on whatever series I was watching, that the audio description with the Apple TV really messed with the sound. That is the stereo or whenever it was wasn’t that good. Whereas with Amazon, it seems better. It could be series dependent, or I could be crazy.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone